Good beginner pair of clownfish

Whats a good species of clownfish that isn't your typical run of the mill that a beginner could possibly get to breed. They will be in my reef tank. 30g cube.

Do you want them to breed or to pair them up(mated pair)?? I had mine for 4 years before they started laying eggs is the only reason I ask. They were paired up and once they figured out who was going to be the female they were fine. It is going to take time for them to mature and feel safe to find a home to lay eggs. If you just want them to mate up get two and they should be fine pairing up if they are of the same type. Not to say that others will not mate up as anything is possible but getting the say type makes it a lot easier.

Most are going to require the same care and setup it is just how fancy or how much you are willing to pay as to how you want to go. As stated, it took mine to the age of 4 1/2 yrs old or so before they started laying eggs. May not take as long for some and there is never a guarantee that they will.

This will give you enough time to read up on them when they do start laying eggs and getting your breeding equipment together. Also you could look at someone who has a mate/breeding pair that has matured if they are willing to part with them. Once you move them it will take time for them to get a new home and ready to lay eggs again. Some have said that once they moved them they never laid eggs again.

I still have 13 babies from the first successful hatch and I am about to collect the next set in about 2 1/2 weeks if my rotifers are back up to where they are supposed to be. They are fun to watch grow and change but do require a lot of time. I would say in the start I spent about an hour each night just in a 10g tank for the first few weeks. But watching them it was well worth the time and keep us updated on your progress.

I have a yellow tang, Scopas Tang, Black Blenny, Two Target Mandrin, Diamond sand sifting goby, pair of Bangii and the clowns will breed right outside their nem. It is a 90g though.

As far as the rotifers they are too small to see in a tank and you will not have enough in the tank for your fry to eat so you will have to remove the fry one of two methods. Stay up late and collect them when they hatch or have the parents lay the eggs on a tile or pot and remove it to the fry hatch tank. I stayed up till 1 or 2 with this set of babies collecting them. And with the rotifers you can grow them out in 5g buckets and just feed it to the fry tank so that you can actually see the rotifers in there. That is a lot of rotifers depending on the size of the tank.

A good book to start off with is Clownfishes if you can find it localy. Amazon is selling it now but it is going for $34 for a used copy then it jumps to $65. The book is out of print but is it still a good book to get ahold of when you are ready to start breeding them. Another good book to read is The Complete Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes .