*gloat* New Triggersys skimmer for the 180g!

tesfeld

Premium Member
I can't wait to get this thing installed!

32.5" tall, 8" diameter, two gen-x 2400 needle wheel pumps, and extra deep collection cup. It also has his new twistlock top. 1/5 turn and lift to remove.

I really like recirc skimmers. Is the water introduced by the pump on the bottom? If so, the supply pump is also a needle wheel?

It's for my 180g, not for $180 :lol:

It is a prototype that I spec'd out myself. I would have to let David speak to his future plans.

Here is a pic after starting it up. Yes to both questions Tremelle.

Looks good Tony. Why was the 2nd pump placed above the 1st? I haven't seen that before. Also, why did you go with the 2400? I think the 4100 would have been sweet on that skimmer. Have you looking into adding a thread/mesh wheel on those gen-x pumps?

The 2nd pump is above the 1st for space reasons and since it is recirculating versus the feed pump. It would have to pull air to a large depth if it were lower. The 2400 is a start and may be upgraded. I will probably keep the supply pump a 2400. They have needlewheels in them. Are the thread/mesh wheels better? I haven't kept up with needlewheel technology, so please enlighten me.

I think the nylon thread wheels are supposed to be better. There is a thread somewhere on RC that talks about it. But, I love your skimmer. If your works great, then just stick with what you have.
-Chuck

I think those pumps are too small for the skimmer, the heigth of the skimmer takes away large amount of input air. I would go with 2 Gen-x 4100 or Oceanrunner 3700 pumps.

I had a hard time with the perspective on the first picture. At first, it looked like the skimmer was as tall as the third hinge on the door behind it!

It looks good. You'll have to keep us posted on how you like it.

I don't see any type of bracing on the return plumbing. Are you concerned about the return pipe cracking the acylic at the bulkhead on the body? I would think the weight of the water rising and exiting the pipe would be putting pressure outward.

Looks good, but you should have tried to design a skimmer that pulls skimate and xenia...

Oh and how many skimmers do you have now? I know you won an ER and had the other test trigger with no cup.

Not worried about the return plumbing. The uniseals allow for some play.
Bill, I have four skimmers right now :D This one, the original TriggerSys prototype, the Euroreef RS80, and a Remora Pro. Before this one arrived I was using the cupless Trigger and the Euro at the same time.

Ken, I believe you're right about the pump sizes. I was hoping it was just because of the break in period, but it's not doing as hot as it should be. The only issue is the holes already being placed on the skimmer and sized at 1/2". If (when) I upgrade pumps, I'll have to reduce the connection or redrill for larger uniseals.

I should have done more homework before I spec'd out those pumps.

If you do upgrade, I recommend that you use dremmel with a small sanding drum to widen the hole, unless you have drill press, hand drilling over those holes is not easy, will end up with lot of scratches on acrylic. Easiest way to make a silencer is to buy 2 3/4" pvc caps and cut 1" pipe, drill a hole on each cap (one large enough to insert the tubing), put a piece of cotton ball inside then connect them togother.
Fyi, Octopus turbine 3000 (=OR 3700) does not come with venturi fitting, you have to make one, produces very fine bubbles, very good pump imo.
Pictures of bubbles by Octopus 2000 (OR 2700), sizes are small as pinhead.
RecrSkimmer44.jpg
alt="">
RecrSkimmer55.jpg
alt="">

It's been a busy 24 hours! David was kind enough to help me re-engineer the pump on the skimmer. We swapped out the recirc 2400 with a 6000. Today I modified the impeller on both skimmers with the "Rojac Gutter Guard" method. I've learned a ton about needlewheel skimmer design on RC and applied it all day. For those who aren't familiar, you pop off the top half of the impeller and replace it with discs of plastic gutter guard/leaf guard material. Man, what a difference. This thing is just now getting broken in after the reglue and I can't wait to see what it pulls out. I'll have new pics when my prop MH turns on.

1,000 thank you's David!

Tony,
Did you snap a picture of the gutter gaurd impeller? I was thinking about doing it with my sedra on my asm.

I didn't, sorry, but I've never done an easier mod. I can tell you that. PM me and I can tell you over the phone. I have some gutter material I can give you at the frag swap if you don't want to go buy some.