Georgia's Atlantis Aquarium - Moorish Idol care

I was curious about the idols at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta and this is what they sent me... nice little read =)

A few notes about the Moorish Idols that you saw in the Tropical Diver Reef exhibit. This exhibit is a well established ecosystem within 164,000 gallons of salt water . These animals are broadcast fed and tend to eat arcti-pods, clam, frozen mysids, and sponges (growing in the exhibit). The live coral in this tank are also a food source (intentional or not).

The biologists tell me this species seem to do better in groups (we have 40 individuals) and in open water systems typically. Even though we don’t have open water in our system, the corals and larger population may have a positive impact on the life span due to the variety of food sources. As I mentioned before this exhibit is a well established ecosystem that has had time to develop.

they said to contact them if had other questions - MAN I LOVE AQUARIUMS (and fish people) =)

thats quite impressive that they actually took the time to answer an individuals question like that. you thinking of trying one?

I tried... he ate;

Acans
Candy Canes
Zoa's
favia
Nori

and something else but I can't remember now

He's probably ok in large, established sps tanks (like large angels)

I've emailed the Monterey Bay and Waikiki Aquarium before as well and worked for the Aquarium of the Pacific in Cali. These aquariums love to answer questions when they can. The Dallas World Aquarium is a different breed though, private I think and doesn't focus on research like the others do I think.

BEAUTIFUL fish!

For those of you out there who may make the mistake...

Banner Fish (Heniochus) and not the same as Moorish Idols...

See here for a minimal detail comparison.
http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/moorishidol.html