Fuge lighting cycle

tesfeld

Premium Member
I remember reading somewhere that alternating your fuge/propogation from your display would help maintain pH in the system. Does anybody have any experience with that being true? I'm going to be hanging a MH over my sump/prop and was debating the photoperiod.

There is no doubt it's true. The problem is it won't matter to much unless your fuge is large compared to your tank. If you have like a 10 or 20% or total volume fuge reverse lighting will probably be unnoticed though it will help slightly. A huge fuge that was like 50% of the tank and full of macro could actually help stabilization quite a bit.

During the day when the tank lights are on, anything that photosynthesizes light gives off o2 and use up Co2. The more o2 and the less Co2 in the tank the higher the pH. At night when the lights are out, all the animals are using the o2 in the tank and giving off Co2, plus no photosynthesis taking place. The only new o2 going into the tank is through air exchange. A big refugium with macro algaes and other algaes in it, runniing at night is a place for photosynthesis to take place, using up some of the Co2 and adding some o2. Thus off setting some of the pH drop you would find in a tank without the refugium. And hopefully minimizing the pH swings between the high after a day with all the lights on and how low it would go after a night without the lights.