frag to display piece?

hnurge

Premium Member
Staff member
so, I've acquired quite a few frags, and they are growing well, but I'm a bit confused as to how you grow them to the point that they don't look like a frag anymore.

Does anyone have any advice on how you take a frag, and convert/grow it into a decent display piece? do you glue the plug into the rock and let it encrust over? do you remove the frag from the plug when it gets large? the plugs are very handy for very small specimens, but they look very artificial.

interested in this also as I have been winging it, sometimes cutting it off the frag to glue to location, and sometimes cutting the plug stem off and gluing the frag to the rock (zoos)

There was a thread recently about pegging your frags. The basic gist of it was taking a piece of airline tubing and gluing it to your frag then the other end of the airline tubing goes in to your live rock (similar to the frag plug base). Your could take your frags off the plugs, glue them to a piece of rubble, then peg them to your live rock.

http://dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=20726

For me it mainly depends on the frag. If the frag is well encrusted on the plug I just cut the stem off and mount the whole plug to rock. If the frag is new attached to the plug I just get it off the frag plug and mount the frag directly to the rock. Either way that frag will encrust over and grow nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2