Frag Rack Equipment Choices

Alright guys,

I'm looking for opinions here. What equipment would you choose for this frag rack...

3 frag tanks stacked on a steel frame. Each frag tank is a 33g long (48" x 12" x 12"). On the bottom is a sump, same dimensions, baffled into three sections.

The plan is for 2 tanks to be SPS tanks and 1 tank to be an LPS/Zoa tank. No softies/mushrooms... don't want the chemical warfare stuff.

I've got the lighting for the LPS/Zoa tank. So on with the questions:

1. What lighting would you suggest over the SPS frag tanks? There's only 10 to 12" of height over each tank, keep that in mind. DIY LEDs, T5, MHs are all options... just looking for suggestions.

2. What fish would you keep in the tanks? I'm planning to go with very few. An algae eater and maybe 1 other fish in each 33g. Thoughts?

3. I'm planning on running a biopellet reactor. Thoughts on running biopellets in a low fish stocked frag system?

4. What skimmer? I don't mind over skimming but don't want to be having something rated for 250g+ when the system will have approx 120g.

5. What other equipment? I'm thinking I'll use a dosing pump to keep up with calc/alk needs. What else needs to be tested for and supplemented in a frag system that will hopefully be booming with SPS growth?

6. What other advise do you have. Totally open ended... write me a novel. :)

Personally I would go bigger skimmer cause if you are running biopellets you are gonna need to feeds the corals. That is where people go wrong they think you can just run biopellets you still need to feed the tank or the corals will starve as you are taking out food for the corals (nitrates)

I would look at sunblaze t5 fixtures.

Melanarus wrasse and kole tang would be ideal frag fish. One to eat pests the other to keep the tank algae free.

Just dose two part or even kalkwasser. I now run Kalk as my main and supplement with two part and my corals are really looking good. Something about Kalk is beneficial to the corals. Alot of good benefits with dosing Kalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So would you lean away from running biopellets? I was thinking they would be beneficial in a system running very little live rock compared to number of gallons. But just because I was thinking it doesn't mean it's best. That's why I'm asking questions! :)

I have almost the same setup as you have.

Over my sps i run all leds and over my zoas i run 4 T5s and one led strip of blues. I plan on going 100 leds as soon as i can afford it. I also run leds on my refugium.

I use a reef octupus skimmer rated for 250 gallons while my total volume is about 140. If you go heavy sps i would look into a calcium reactor and kalk. I use both with alot of success. I dose vodka and run a uv sterilizer 24 7.

As far as fish go i have yellow coris wrasse, tomini tang, sailfin tang, scribble rabbitfish, mandarin and sandsifting goby.

Let me know if you would like to come by and check out my setup, good luck!

Thanks for the answers guys. I asked both of you more questions through PM.

How about anyone else? How any ideas/suggestions or thoughts on my questions above?

This isn't meant to be a knock on any lighting source, but you should get great coloration with T5. Try to design as much space so you can get you hands in and out of the tank with ease. With shallow tanks, T5's will blast your corals, but you will need plenty of space to work. You may even consider to cover the front of the stand (even if it's powder coated) with contact paper. There is a TON of water that will drip across the front panel as you work in and out of it. I wish I would have done something as simple. My stand looks like it's been across the world on a barge for about 40 years.

I'm looking for new opinions.

What should I do for flow? In my current plan I have budgeted for an MP10 on each SPS grow out tank. My question isn't what's the best bang for the buck, whats the best price ect... it's "What's the best?" If someone has or has had BOTH a tunze and an MP10 (or other vortech) give me your opinion on which would be best. Remember the tank dimensions (48" x 12" x 12") are long, narrow and shallow. I'm considering a Tunze placed high on each side of the tank on a wavemaker... but should they rotate back and forth every few seconds for rush/wave, or switch every hour for a gyre? Should I go with an MP10? Has anyone ever had an MP10 on such a long and narrow tank? From the vids I've seen on the MP10s they could create a wave across the whole tank if I wanted them to.

Thanks again!
matt

your best bang for your buck is to purchase a couple of penductors for your returns. They cost around 15 bucks a piece, while it is recommended to use a pressure rated pump.

The Hydor Koralia 5 is rated for 1650 GPH but in Sanjay's flow study it had a measured flowrate of nearly 2600 GPH. I believe that these are economical.

@matt_longview wrote:
I'm looking for new opinions. In my current plan I have budgeted for an MP10 on each SPS grow out tank. said:
Im running two mp10's on my 40B, which is only 36" across. I would recommend an MP40 for 48" if you are only going to use one. Even though you probably wont have any rock in the tank to disrupt flow, a single MP10 probably wont be enough for SPS in a 48" tank.

@Servo wrote:
your best bang for your buck is to purchase a couple of penductors for your returns. They cost around 15 bucks a piece said:
When you say penductors... you mean like the Hydor rotating deflectors? I believe the max flow through those guys is just a few hundred gph. Are there some that will work for 800gphish? I saw some of these, but they were $90 each I believe.

nope. Penductors or eductors http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=527

Next year at MACNA one of the vendors Dirk will have them, not that you would want to wait a year, but yet another reason to go.