Found the culprit!

I've been bummed the past week because my favorite acan was losing tissue. It was growing like a weed and all of my other corals were doing well, so I found it odd that it was losing tissue. I couldn't tell if it was receding due to water params or if something was just picking at it. Once I picked up the piece of live rock it was mounted on, the problem became apparent when I found these guys hanging out right underneath...

jidj60.jpg
alt="">

I don't see that as being a culprit as that is were they hang out under live rock and what not, a lot of times people mistake them for bad, but they are just there, you would be amazed how many would come flying out of a peice of lr if you submerge it in 1.050 or so saltwater!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

several sources say they are safe but i'm not buying it. I was spot feeding Mysis more frequently until I took a week+ off. My hypothesis is that the bristle worms were hungry and went after the acan.. I'll probably get in there with a flashlight when the lights go out to do some observation but in the interim I dipped the acan in iodine and removed the worms so we'll see if it recovers.

If you found that many under the acans. Then I would guess they are everywhere in your tank and fuge if you have one. I would say for every one you see there are ten others hiding somewhere.

It could be they were trying to eat the food that acan had trapped/injested, and the coral took a hit in the process. They aren't acan eaters.

Reminds me of the post... the bristle worms ate my clam!!!!

They don't... they are scavengers for the most part. There are predator worms but those don't appear to be that kind. Bristle worms hide under/in rocks and coral skeletons all the time. I'm afraid your acan issue is still an issue.