For your viewing pleasure - Plumbing pics

chrisT

Membership Expired
[I thought I would post a few pics of the tank plumbed and being water tested. Does everyone get this nervous the first time you water test in the house, I triple checked the tank and sump outside before I even brought it in the house, but I was still nervous.

I only had one leak, where I overlooked the fact that I did not use teflon tape on a threaded connection, other than that nice and dry.

i am having some serious bubble issues, and I need to raise my dursos, the water is dropping just a little to far. Grim-bob had an idea I will try for the bubbles but if anybody has any more suggestions please let me know.

The picture Marc attached above will help. Alternatively you could put a 90 degree elbow and then a T that has 1 end into the water and the other end above water level. The issue is that the water is flowing through the drain fast enough that it is sucking large amounts of air with it. You can try to fine tune the durso to allow less air and still be functional but it may not solve this issue. The solution is to allow the air (bubbles) to escape without having to force their way out of the water in the sump/fuge. I had the same issue and allowing the bubbles to escape out the top of the plumbing without having to fight their way out of the water solved it best. said:
These first few are of all the plumbing.

plumbing.jpg
alt="">

plumbing2.jpg
alt="">

plumbing3.jpg
alt="">

This is a picture of the Dursos and the water height.

dursos.jpg
alt="">

and finally the torent of bubbles coing out of every drain!

bubbles.jpg
alt="">]

[
Does everyone get this nervous said:
Yes... Yes and Yes.... When I was setting up the plumbing on my 90 about 6 weeks ago I triple checked everything and still checked on the tank every 5 minutes to make sure nothing was leaking.

If I had one thing to do over again, I wouldn't have used flex pvc on the drain line. (It's fine for me on the return). In retrospect, because of my sump design I would have been better with something more rigid in my refugium.]

[Microbubbles occur in new plumbing. After 2 weeks, they will be slimed over with algae and the bubbles will be reduced or even gone.

It looks great. The sump looks nice too.]

[Very nice.

When I set up my first tank with a sump I was very nervous. I don't sweat it now! If it is going to leak it will do it quick!!]

[There is nothing micro about these bubbles, the water boils when the return pump is running. Since salt water is more dense than tap water does that help tone down the bubbles some? The good thing right now is that none of the bubbles are making to the display.

Marc couldnt have done the sump without your web site. Thanks for all the info.

ROCK AND SAND WILL BE PLACED CHRISTMAS EVE!!! :wwww:

Thanks for the plumbing tip Josh.]

Edited By marine-noob on 1103775227

[You mean I didn't build that sump? I thought I was losing my mind. It looks just like the ones I build! NICE JOB!

Hey guys, it must be getting cold outside. My heater finally turned on - first time this month. :lol:

If you have bubbles with freshwater, you'll have far less with saltwater.]

[Well there is definatly a learning curve, I might build another sump that has a dedicated drain section to control bubbles and make some room for the skimmer, but not for a while. I got it aquascped, now I need to add some life to this tank. Would anyone like to donate some live sand? :lookaround:

This is the newly aquscaped, filled and running pic

rocks.jpg
alt="">

This is a pic of the PVC Ts I added to control the bubbles, you can see the bubbles overflow the top and water drains through the bottom.

t1.jpg
alt="">]

[Looks good to me. If you want a cup of sand from me, let me know.

If you have room, take a piece of 4" PVC that is 10 to 12" tall (taller than your water level in the skimmer section), and plumb the drains into that. Let it overflow into the skimmer section. The majority of the bubbles will boil and pop in the PVC.

Or put a couple of riser tubes on those Tees, 3" tall. See if that helps.]

[Chris, I am happy to see you finally got your tank up and running! I will gladly give you anything you need to get started. Give me a call or e-mail me and I can help you. Live sand, frags, etc. E-MAIL gopatrick@charter.net
Anthony Patrick]