Flood cutoff switch/float switch

[Hello,

I am in the process (if all goes ok) of designing a flood control device. I want to see if anyone would be interested since the cost will be about $50 give or take $10.

Here's the plan

I see on the internet a Time delay relay controller for about $15-$20. I also saw a float switch for about $10 (I've never used this float swich but any suggestions or your opinion on a good cost effective switch welcome). The relay controller runs off of 12vdc and can be triggered by 12v so this means only 12v will run through the float. The relay can switch 5 amps at 120vac. I can add a secondary relay if the load will be higher for about $10 for those who use large pumps. This relay comes with an adjustable time delay 1 second to 60 min hence the flood control use (cut off pump and prevent quick cycling) but this can also be used as a float switch if you need it to. I can get a 12vdc power supply for about $10 and use it to power the relay and float switch (draw very little only relay and float use the 12v power). I can use a electrical box to house all the components for about $10 and hopefully have enough room to add a dual receptacle outlet (or use pvc box for components plus outlet box for the outlets but this willadd about $10 more to cost). This way all you do is plug the cord into the wall and the pump to the outlet on the box and put the float switch in a convenient location (maybe marc can build one of those hang/mount brackets like lifereef for the float switch or just a simple L bracket). I'll also need about $10 in wiring costs.

time delay Relay $20
Pwr supply $10
float switch $10
Enclosure $10
wiring $5
(optional extras $20 pvc enclosure, exc)

Would anyone be interested in such a device ?

Also do any of you have a preference for float swich or one you consider highly reliable and sources? any suggestion you may have to help better my design or maybe something better that you know of let me know please. If there is already something cheaper that does this (pump controll/float swictch) please let me know so I can move on hehe. Most importantly feel free to correct me or point out any errors.]

[Also on another idea. Using this same relay I can wire the same type circuit for temp control. Like say a temp controlled sensor that will cut off your lights, exc (what ever you plug into the outlet, but you should keep a couple power heads seperate for circulation) if the temp gets too high and prevent a meltdown (lights, pump failure, exc). The only problem is I need help finding a temp controller to trigger the relay. I can find some with a remote sensor (to put in the water) and a alarm (I can wire to trigger the relay off the alarm) but they cost around $100-$150 way too high for me. Do any of you know of a cheaper temp controller or temp alarm type device to use? Would any of you be interested in a device like this and what would you be willing to pay for it?]

[Jose, I'm on board with the first one. And I still have a project I want to discuss with you in the near future.]

[Mine is more like this one:
http://www.floatswitches.net/powerhead.html

Mine is open, no cover, on the edge of my return section. The holding bracket is welded in place with acrylic cement.

What does that timer run, cost wise? I know you want to use it like a 10min delay before restarting....]

Edited By Marc on 1058082987

[Hello,

first, Marc am I violating the board rules by posting this info here?

That cord/float you use does it cycle on and off quickly or do you consider it adequate? Do you feel unsafe having 120vac in your aquarium? what kind of pump are you using on it?
The float I posted and the one you posted are the same except yours has been spliced with the float in series I believe. Can you open it up and see how it's wired?

Here's the cheapest place I found it (timer).
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/securitycam/al60timmod.html

The benefit of the relay design I said is only 12vdc runs through the float and it triggers the relay. This could also be used as a top off controller. You could hook up two floats one higher than the other for backup. This can be done considerably cheaper than lifereef float system and not put 120vac in the aquarium like theirs. I listed the cost of components and how I would put them together as you can see there is no profit to be made by me. I can even give you a wiring schematic to post here or at your site if you want once I put it together and see how it works and if it's reliable enough to recomend to others. :idea: I just wanted to see if others were interested in these types of projects or had better ideas.

Ps. there is another cheaper relay I'm considering here it is.
http://www.securityideas.com/al60timmod1.html
It can run of 6vdc.

As always tell me what you think or can improve.]

[No Jose, you are offering information just like I do all the time, not for profit. Thus it is not a violation of the rules.

DIY stuff is never frowned upon! :idea:

I've heard people worry about 120v going into our tanks, but we have powerheads, heaters, pumps and more that all run on 120v lines. I guess the float switch simply doesn't have the enclosed casing round the leads.

Mine is similar to that float switch, but I don't even have the cool little black box. It is two wire nuts on the spliced extention cord. Talk about safe, baby! :eek:oh: The pump is a MJ600. I've never checked how often it turns on and off, but when it does come on, it lasts less than a minute.

I've been thinking about the relay thing for some time, actually. We have Grainger right here in Ft Worth, so I can pick up the right parts whenever I've determined what they are. Basically, the relay is just an added safety, as long as the relay doesn't fuse and lock the power in 'open' mode. That would be a mess.

That last timer you linked might suit a project I'd really like to pursue. You've got a PM.]