fish training

reeferjim

Premium Member
I have a wild caught Flame and a wild caught lawnmower. Both are heavy grazers and neither will take anything else. How do I train them to take other foods...nori,seaweed,algea....anything....I am having to keep my tank in enough green algea to feed them both AND my clean up crew....HELP!

Maybe you can grow some edible algae in the sump so that you can supplement their grazing.

Have you tried using a rubber band and attaching the Nori to a small rock? Start them off in a familiar setting and slowly move to where you want it. Using a clip on the glass is intimidating for some fish, perhaps due to the reflection off the glass or leaving the safety of the rock work and going into open water to get to the clip.

I use Omega One Marine flakes with garlic and all of my fish and critters eat it. Even the Anthias come running at feeding time. I also used the algae sinking pellets. Once the fish know you are the source for food they will start eating anything you put in the tank. I grind shrimp for the Nems and the fish get the chum.

How long have you had the flame?, mine took about 3 weeks to eat anything other than grazing, he now eats mysis shrimp like crazy. You can also try cobalt mysis spirulina flakes, i had great results with those.

Thanks for the input guys...it's very much appriciated
First...never thought about the reflection...explains a lot. I use Omega one as well, but the lawn mower and the flame ignore it.
If I had a grow light on my sump, I could grow suppliment rocks for them, it's on my to do list, but in the middle....
I have had the flame for about a week. I have to figure out something, my tank is green....LOL