Finally caught my devil crab, id pls

[YES!
after weeks of trying i finally caught my reef terror! this guy surfaced after 1 1/2 years, took me a while.
is this a stone or a rock crab?

Should i feed him to my zebra moray as a snack now?]

[Ive got one in my tank too. hes neat and doesnt mess with much. What was he doing in your tank that was so bad?]

[Doesn't look like a rock crab to me, but I'm no expert.. Too bad you don't like it though, I think it's pretty (probably because it hasn't been in my display tank tearing stuff up)..

Also, if gender markings are similar between blue crabs and whatever that is you have, I do believe that "he" is a "she"..]

[Did you name him Ahnold yet? I'm probably mistakenly IDing it as a gorilla crab, but that is what I call those. Are the eyes red?

I've had one in the past, and it killed a number of things I cared about. The fuge is fine.

If you can get me a few good images of it out of water, I'll be happy to put it on my ID page. I'd ask Dr Ron what it is.]

[These are bad? Someone told me they were like an emerald crab, only red and that it would be ok in my tank. So i threw it in there. It hasnt done anything wrong though yet. What do they kill?]

[There are reddish emerald crabs, but this one is far thicker and typically notorious murderers of sleeping fish, shrimp and even some corals.

Mine was turned into crab shrapnel in my 29g years ago when I finally had enough. I took an old fishnet wire frame, bent it into a spear and rammed it into the hole the crab was in. Grinding that around and around, little bits of crab meat went everywhere, and my reeflings finally had revenge on him and ate him for a change. :stare:]

[This guy was vicious. He ate fish,hermits, emerald crab, sally lightfoots, ricordea, zo's , he especially had a taste for SPS. I lost some pretty rare pieces because this crab was hungry. I even tried making sure he had his own food source every other day. (silverside).

i caught it as i was viewing tank just after lights out, and i saw a fuzzy green pocupora being dragged into a hole in a rock near the top. I saw my chance and started moving corals,removing rocks till i pulled out the one he was in. Nothing up to this point had worked.

Marc,
His eyes are yellow, not red.
I will try to get some better (dry) pics for you tonight after work.]

Edited By chevytrks on 1108041244

[Doesn't look like a gorilla to me but no doubt a bad guy! Wow he was pretty big!

Have I mentioned how much I hate bad hitchikers!

Look around on RC as I know I've seen a picture of that kind before!]

Edited By kwl1763 on 1108050395

@Marc wrote:
[I had to do the same thing with a red emerald that I got from a fellow reefer. Everything was fine and dandy until one day he decided that he wanted to start munching on one of my prized acros. I hunted him for a few days, and finally caught him munching away one day when I got home from work. I ended up spearing him and breaking open his shell.

My tank feasted that night as well!]