Filtration Size- 20g tall

I am setting up a very low budget build (I am student) for a reef tank. Tank size is 20g tall, and I am looking to forgo a wavemaker, for space and money issues. Which canister filter is right for me? I'm leaning towards the Eheim classic series from what the guy at True Percula told me. Also what other equipment can I forego, and other than shopping on craigslist, what are some ways I can save money?

What are you wanting to keep in the tank? That'll make a big difference as far as what equipment you'll need. Fish only? Soft corals? SPS corals?

@Zoasguy wrote:
Corals will be the main attraction. Some small fish. said:
Do some research on the different types of corals: soft, LPS (large polyp stony), and SPS (small polyp stony). The requirements for those will vary and determine what equipment you're going to need. For example, SPS corals are going to require a lot more water movement and light intensity. In a tank that size you might not need a canister filter. You might be better off with a HOB (hang on back) protein skimmer.

OK I will research that. I dont really want a HOB filter of any sort because I want to keep a lot of the equipment hidden.