Faulty digital thermometer...11 degrees HIGH

rio32

Premium Member
Hi everyone.

I just realized after a long summer of thinking my tank was WAY too hot that the digital thermometer that I use is faulty. I used a brand new digital thermometer and it reads 69 degrees! This while the old one reads 80! Now that I have this figured out I was wondering how quickly I should raise the temp back to a normal, warm water temp. My fish all seem to be doing great, which is very puzzling. I didn't know they could survive in 69 degree water. It was probably 72 or 73 all summer.

So, any advice or tidbits of knowledge on fish and temps and how my fish have done so well with very cool water? Also, I have had an algae prob that no one seems to be able to correct. Would cold water do this? I would think just the opposite.

Anyway, I plan to raise it to about 75 unless I hear anything to the contrary.

Thanks!

My advice would be to first get a mercury thermometer to confirm which one is in fact faulty. Raising it to 75 over the course of even one day is more than good enough.

Good idea Wes. Will do that now. So, 75 is a good temp to keep them at? Didn't rule of thumb always put it around 78 - 80?

Thanks a bunch. This is such a simple subject but when you think your tank is 5-6 degrees hotter than it needs to be for MONTHS and you spend $$$ on air conditioning to keep it frigid in the house, it is "simply" frustrating to find out it was a faulty thermometer. UGH!

I WAS worried about cooking all the inhabitants, needlessly though since it was 11 degrees cooler than I thought it was. I twas a constant battle to keep it at 81 or 82 which was still too warm, although it was really at 70 or 71. Just stress for nothing.

I have a chiller which reads temp and a digital thermometer
Both are different so I need to get a mercury one as well just to see which one is right lol

I have 2 small 25 watt heaters set to 78 ... May add a third
I also have a chiller set to 78 ( when temp gets to 79 it kicks on )

So my temp fluctuates 1degree ....

If one of the heaters go bonkers it is not big enough by itself to cause damage with a 1/4 hP chiller behind it ..