Fan speed control

[I picked up some AC fans (they are like the larger 4" computer fans, but run off of AC instead of DC) and lamp cords to power them and (so far) they are keeping my 400w MH from heating my water up at all, they are joing their jobs well.

The problem I am having is that they are wicked loud. I'd like to put a dimmer switch or some other kind of control on the power to throttle them back until I notice the temp rising, then crank them up a tad.

I'm not sure if the regular old dimmer knobs like people install on their ceiling fans or indoor lighting will do the job, seems like they should, I just don't want to waste bucks on them if they won't (and I sure as (heck) don't want an electrical fire :))

Anyone have any experience/advice in this area? I got the fans at an ok price, and the power cords from radio shack cheap, I was thinking if I can just get the noise issue under control, then I'll put the fans on a timer with my light and be rockin and rollin.

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

Ryan]

Edited By caracarn on 1109454795

[There are available thermal sensors that plug inline between AC fans and their power source. Pricewise though, they are a bit pricy (about 90 bucks last I checked) the ULTRA-cheap alternative would to be to go with the computer fans with a thermal sensor used in computer power supplies. Those can be retrofitted and enclosed for about 5 bucks if you shop around.]

[I just picked up a pair of PC fans that came with thermal sensors and speed adjusters from Fry's yesterday for $13 a piece. They are designed to run either the heat sensor or the adjuster, but can't do both at the same time. I plan to wire these into the 12v transformer that runs my moonlights and see how it goes. If there isn't enough current (1200 mA) to push everything, I'll put the fans on their own transformer.]