false percula food

I recently purchased my first pair of false percula They seem to be doing great except for eating. They are juveniles less than an inch. The smaller of the two can not swallow the entire 1mm pellet, he will grab it with his mouth and then let it go. The larger will swim directly to the pellet then turn around. Is this normal for new fish are they still a little stressed being in a new environment or should i try flakes or another food? I plan on mixing in mysis once every week or two.

IMO ... that is way too big. I mix my frozen with Otohime that come in a small granule that is .25 mm (250 µm). Reed Mariculture/ AP Breed sells the Otohime. If you get the MINI mysis frozen, there will be pieces small enough for them as well as Rod's foods contains sizes for all in the same pack.

Fish, coral, zoa ... all eat the Otohime. [smilie=smile.gif]

@BlennyLover wrote:
If you get the MINI mysis frozen said:
I'd suggest trying the frozen Rod's food. That's what I started using when my fish were small. I have a small glass I use the thaw it in that's only used for feeding. I put some aquarium water in it with a tiny piece of the frozen food and let it sit for a few minutes to thaw. There are still the occasional pieces that are still too big for my clown fish to eat, but it's soft enough that he'll grab it in his mouth and keep biting bits off of it until it's gone.

With fish that tiny, one package of Rod's will last you a LONG time. And as an added bonus the really small particles of food floating around work great for coral, filter feeders, etc.

Pellet food IMO is very messy and can change water quality if you use too much. I would try frozen baby brine with some garlic. They will be fine.

If you would like good nutritious food for your clown. Raw food is really good and its great for finiky eaters because pretty much every clown will LOVE a mixture of raw foods. Mysis shrimp, cuddlefish, shrimp (white), muscles, squid i add mixtures of omega protine formulas in the mix too. The key is to blend it all with a nice blender the freez it and shave it off.

@ericauch wrote:
If you would like good nutritious food for your clown. Raw food is really good and its great for finiky eaters because pretty much every clown will LOVE a mixture of raw foods. Mysis shrimp said:
What he said +1....

If you don't want to deal with all that hassle you can grab a pack of our LRS Reef Frenzy Nano food. It has a diverse amount of seafood in it as well as our new probiotic blend, which boosts the naturally occurring gut flora. This can aid in digestion, ward off pathogens and help balance the digestive enzymes It is the preferred food for some very prominent collectors of exotic fish, and has been fed to a couple of the Peppermint angels that just hit the states a couple weeks ago. I know of one clownfish breeder who uses our foods exclusively, with great results.

This food can be shaved down or simply agitated in the cup to get it to the desired particle size.

We have a few stores in TX stocking our foods, but are always looking for more if there is not one near you. They are listed on our website: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/Places_to_buy_LRS_Foods.html

Our foods are so pure and fresh even I ate some last weekend on camera!

Good luck with your clowns!

Larry

[video]http://youtu.be/eYblsvaZuTE[/video]