Face-off

hitillidie

Membership Expired
I bought a new fish today and my purple tang begin to harass her. So I used an old trick to keep him occupied for a while. Check it out

http://media.putfile.com/Purple-tang-in-a-face-off

Three hours later

http://media.putfile.com/face-off-2

He actually stood there for 6 hours before I just removed the mirror.

Be careful guys! I clicked on that link and got an extreme close up video of a whole different kind of critter. :oops: The bad thing is I had to look at it for a minute to figure out what it was. Some people have no class.

No offense hitillidie. You have no control over what sickos post on there. I'm sure it was just my wonderful luck that happened to have that specific video advertising at the moment I looked.

For the record, I'm interested to see if the purple tang goes directly back to harassing the new guy once the mirror is removed.

Angela

hope it works out...what kind of wrasse is that...with orange on the tail...very purrrrrty

Yep, the old mirror trick is a great distraction when a new fish is being harassed.

I agree with be careful what you link. Lots of us brows the forum at work. I'm sure I'll be hearing from the IT guy, again. It’s alright. He needs to get a life.

Nice Tang, by the way.

It's a Redtail Tamarin Wrasse, the purple has since left it alone. I just needed to distract him for a while. Wrasse really pose no threat to tangs, so usually after a while they leave new (none tangs) fish alone.

That is a handsome wrasse. I hear they are a bit hard to keep, not as hard as the Leopard, but are somewhat slow to feed. I think Cliff (spar) had a pair of these and lost one. Probably a good idea to keep the Tang distracted for a while.

Well tangs is paying no attention to him right now. He has already eaten live brine, he looks extremly comfortable. I really took my time acclimating him and when your dealing with this fish you must pay attention to how you handle this fish.

FYI if you ever decide to buy one make sure you have them place the wrasse in a dark bag before you take it out the store. Drip acclimate only, in a bucket with a cover so it's dark. These fish tend to freak out in clear bags, especially exposed to sunlight. Sound wierd huh?

very interesting way, i have been adding at night after lights off and after feeding and i normally have no problems with my yellow. youtube is a good place btw...

No at all. I’m a fanatic about long, dark drip acclimations, and after that a long low light QT period. I use dimmers and timers to simulate sunrise as much as possible on all my tanks. But, covering the bag really does help on the trip from the LFS. I always keep a Styrofoam cooler in the car for transporting fish. The last fish I bought, a Dog Faced puffer was freaking out, trying to puff up in the bag. Dane (Rift To Reef) slipped the clear bag inside a dark one and the puffer settled down right away. I think a lot of fish are lost due to the transport home and acclimation, or lack of.

Good luck with him, keep us posted.