External pump plumbing

chrisrush

Premium Member
Working on the plumbing for my new sump and was considering using an external pump (snapper). The sump has a 1.5" bulkhead in the back right corner about 12" above the floor of the tank. Could I install an "upside down u" through the bulkhead to feed the snapper? I vaguely remember seeing a few pictures some time ago but I can't find them on the search.

Thanks.

Hey Chris

technically yes, but it will be prone to capturing air and creating a lot of suction turbidity that may cause pump cavitation issuses and hence air bubbles in the return

personally, I would drill a new hole

@psteeleb wrote:
Hey Chris technically yes said:
Thanks Pete. I guess I could use the hole for a drain if i needed. I have another sump that may work as well, but I like the width of this sump (24").

@chrisrush wrote:
[I]@psteeleb wrote:[/I][quote="Hey Chris technically yes said:
Thanks Pete. I guess I could use the hole for a drain if i needed. I have another sump that may work as well, but I like the width of this sump (24")."]
can you send a picture or diagram . also will the normal water level be above the exisitng hole and by how much

it may be simple enough to add an elbow inside with a short piece of pipe and then slope the line to the pump (instede of a u shape) but i'm may not be visualizing it right

@psteeleb wrote:
[I]@chrisrush wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@psteeleb wrote:[/I][quote="Hey Chris technically yes said:
Thanks Pete. I guess I could use the hole for a drain if i needed. I have another sump that may work as well, but I like the width of this sump (24")."]
can you send a picture or diagram . also will the normal water level be above the exisitng hole and by how much

it may be simple enough to add an elbow inside with a short piece of pipe and then slope the line to the pump (instede of a u shape) but i'm may not be visualizing it right"]

I'll send a pic in a few. Gotta go Christmas shopping.

Hole will be above the normal water line probably by 4-5".

This is a bad plan. Drill a hole at the correct height and feed it directly to your Snapper.

Thanks guys. I'll drill another hole.

Btw, the sump is a rimless tank from gc, but has bottom eurobracing. This doesnt allow me to put any baffles in the sump. Could I add a thin piece of acrylic in-between the eurobracing to get a flat bottom so that i can add some baffles?

Chris

@chrisrush wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll drill another hole. Btw said:
yep - some people seem to get real serious about 100% seals between baffles and that's fine if you want to drain a section but the purpose is to divert flow for bubble seperations and trap detritus

and I agree with you drilling another hole - 4" over the water levell for that type pump will cuase more long term proplems then the effort to drill now. The only way I would even recomend doing it is with a vacuum pump that pulls air/water form the high point to maintain a prime. An Aqualifter would work but then you hae to worry about vacuum pump failures that could creat a problem you would be trying to avoid.

can't wait to see the build