EuroReef Recirc Mod

I've been wanting to mod my 2+ year old EuroReef CS6-1 for a while and finally got around to it last weekend. It only took about 20 minutes and I am impressed with the results. I bought a Sedra 2500 with needlewheel and venturi (to be used as the recirculating pump - the original Sedra 3500 is still feeding the skimmer from the sump) and used a 1/2" Uniseal (output) and 1" Uniseal (input), 1" elbow (venturi fits right into this) and drilled the appropriate sized holes in the skimmer body. Sorry I did not take more pictures of assembly out of sump, I was too excited and short on time to take pictures. I will try to get more photos next time I clean the skimmer.

The first series of pictures below shows the foam production after a couple hours. I had to remove the riser tube from the socket (where water exits the skimmer) or the collection cup would fill up quickly with clear water. Once I removed the riser pipe, you can see the bubbles in the reaction chamber, neck and cup.

The second series of photos in the second post below show a couple days skimmate after the skimmer settled in and I was able to add the riser tube back at its lowest setting. Pretty nasty stuff considering I only feed every other day and only have 5 fish in my 100-gallon tank. I think the only thing I am going to change is to remove the union on the output side as the output side of the pump fits loosely enough in the Uniseal that I don't need the union to remove it. This will allow me to put the pump closer to the body. I don't mind the distance now as I have room in my sump, but for those of you that try this, just know you don't need the union.

Wow. I run the water level much higher in my skimmer. I wonder if lowering it would produce more skimmate / bubbles.

Marc,

Before this mod, I used to have to run the water much higher in my skimmer to get skimmate but had to lower it or the cup would overflow. I'd be interested to see what your foam production is if you lower the water level.

Lee

every skimmer has a "premium water level" that it skims at the best. Majority of the ER's are 7-10 inches of water. then again every one of em are different.

Where did you get your sedra pump?

Okay I have a question for you. I'm looking at purchasing a RS250, it is used. I only have 30" to work with under my tank and that is the height of the RS. Is it possible to modify the collection cup so that this skimmer will work. I am thinking that I can set up a 2 Liter bottle as an overflow for the collection cup. I'm hopint that someone who is familiar with this skimmer can answer my question.

Thanks
Steph

Steph,

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that skimmer but it sounds like it will be a tight fit. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

@LovnChely wrote:
Okay I have a question for you. I'm looking at purchasing a RS250 said:
I'm not familiar with this skimmer either, but if the skimmer is 30" and that's all the room you have under your stand, I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove the cup for cleaning. Even with an external collection bottle, you still need to clean the riser in the skimmer frequently. I've posted a picture of my Lifereef VS2-24 (22 1/2" tall) in an old thread here. This may be a good option for you given the amount of vertical space available.

Steph,

Yes you can probably use the 30" skimmer unmodified.

I have a Euro-Reef too and they have one VERY nice feature (among others). The collection cup attaches via a patented 1/4 twist design then the collet lifts up around the tube and you can slide the cup striaght off the tower. You do not have to lift it at all vertically. However, if that's an in sump skimmer, remeber to add the thickness of the holding tank to the final dimension or you'll end up about 1/2 inch too tall or so!