elegance coral

anyone having luck keeping these? Seems like they died for a while but i have seen some nice pics lately. any tips as i am thinking about getting one.

The Aussie ones are the ones to get. They seem to do well long term. The non-Aussie ones are still very iffy.

Actually the aussies are not more hardy... its just that they have a different collection/supply chain than the indos. The problem it not the coral themselves, but an infection/disease that is spread by housing the sick with the healthy.

Borneman did an article on all that and looked into the common perception that it was the area they were collected or the depth etc... and the only real common factor was housing/shipping locations.

The aussies are much more colorful though and come with different colored tips/bodies etc so they are more desired. Add to that they come from a collection point that hasn't been infected and they are doubly appealing. If you buy one, make sure you ask the supplier if they were housed with Indo species. If they have been, I would pass and move onto a supplier that has only housed aussie varieties. I believe Zoanuts is one of those....

I've got an aussie in my system, a pink tipped one that is very pretty. Has a taste for sea hare though :)

Keep an eye on Divers Den as well, I have seen some fantastic looking ones there, blue/purple with pink tips etc.

Dave, thanks for the info. I do like yours and dont plan on adding a hare anytime soon :lol:

I will keep an eye out on diversden and see what they have. Thanks.

I've had one for about 6 months now, and so far so good, usually the first 6 months are when you loose them. Check back with me in a year, and I'll let you know how hardy it really is.

[We kept one for over two years then ]
violent-smiley-086.gif
alt="">

David, that is too funny (not that your coral died), but the clip

Dave, that ausie is very pretty i might give them a buzz.