Egg crate

To use or not to use egg crate in the bottom of tank before adding sand? Were setting up a new setup on Monday so I would like to see what everyone is doing.

Please tell me the reason for using egg crate in your tank.

Thanks in advance.

If you want a nice plenum, egg crate suspended about 1 inch off of the bottom is the way to go, but there are multiple ways to skin a cat.

I always use egg crate on the bottom to help prevent the tip of a rock accumulating alot of pressure and cracking the bottom of the tank...
Think 100 pounds of rock in a 100g tank stacked up... thats alot of weight, and the egg crate helps disperse the pressure evenly...

Why not add it?

@aentrop wrote:
I always use egg crate on the bottom to help prevent the tip of a rock accumulating alot of pressure and cracking the bottom of the tank... Think 100 pounds of rock in a 100g tank stacked up... thats alot of weight said:
if this is why you want it cheryl, i really like how i did it turned out. I stole Sanjays idea from Next wave where he showed us how he put the rocks that formed the base and touched the bottom of the tank on square concrete stepping stones which gave it a solid flat surface to sit on the glass. worked like a champ and the bottom rocks are not going anywhere.