DYI CoOp?

I know the club has a Coral CoOp but has anything like a DIY CoOp been considered? While I have plenty of tools, but I hate the idea of buying a "Single" use tool. For instance, I need a glass hole saw so I can drill the back of my tank, but paying that much for a bit that I will only use to drill 4 holes just really bugs me.

On one of the car sites that I hang out on they have a work day where someone opens up their garage and guys drive over to work on their cars together. If someone has done something a time or two they may do it for someone who has no experience with it. Anyhow, I would be willing to host a work day up here in Frisco. I have a table saw, miter saw, circular saw, a small drill bench, router table (and a plunge base), and a slew of hand tools. I have built stands and can wire lights too. What I have never done is drill holes in the back of a tank. I have a small diamond bit which I have used on ceramic tile but nothing in the range of a 1.5" holes in glass.

So, even if there is no one with a glass hole saw I could use, I would still be willing to host a work party if someone needs to work on building a stand or some plumbing. I love hanging out in the garage and talking with others that love the same.

Tim

I found some glass hole drill bits on amazon for less than 7$. They're in mm so you'll have to figure out what size. As long as the glass isn't tempered and u keep it wet it should work. I personally just drilled 4 holes for 1" bulkheads if you want the bit I used. I'm in mesquite if you want to travel u can have it. Just pm me, Maybe this will help you somehow. Good luck

Jason

Oh yea, I used my phone against the glass to see if it was tempered, if it is it will have the same look as if you were wearing polarized glasses

Jason

The club has a set of glass hole drill bits avail for check out for paid members if you need to borrow a set

@kuyatwo wrote:
The club has a set of glass hole drill bits avail for check out for paid members if you need to borrow a set said:
Thanks! That is great to know. I just paid for my membership yesterday and just waiting on the processing to take place. According to one of the pages here they also have a PAR meter, but it looks like some people on here either don't know that or the club no longer has one. Do you know if they still have the meter or if this was a page that needs to be updated?

Tim

Club still has a par meter ... You place your name on the list and I think there is a deposit you
put down when it is your turn to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be drilling a tank this weekend if anyone would like to bring their tank and drill it. Or you can come watch/help/learn if you like. I have bits for 3/4" and 1" bulkheads.

You can see the threads for these items in the first topic in the members only forum here - viewforum.php?f=31

Welcome to the club, we hope you will join us at a club event soon

@texreefer wrote:
I will be drilling a tank this weekend if anyone would like to bring their tank and drill it. Or you can come watch/help/learn if you like. I have bits for 3/4" and 1" bulkheads. said:
Well, two issues with this...

1. The tank I have takes 4 to 5 people to move it, and there is NO way it's going to fit into my Challenger.
2. SWMBO has decided that since the weather is going to be so good this weekend, we are going to pull the front door off the hinges, sand and then stain it. Considering how much she lets me spend on my hobbies, and at times encourages it, I am unable to skip out of this project.

If it was any other weekend, I could have probably made it. just not this one. Thanks for the offer though.

Tim

P.S. SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

@Wes wrote:
You can see the threads for these items in the first topic in the members only forum here - [url=http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewforum.php?f=31]viewforum.php?f=31[/url] Welcome to the club said:
Yes, I can see that topic area now that I am a member and the account on here has been updated. (Thanks) I'll have to see if I can get on the list for the meter eventually. Too bad the list does not include the city along with the name of the person, that way a few folks could make plans to get together when someone close has it.

I am planning on making it to the Frag Swap in a couple weeks (Nov 16th I think it is...) I'm not ready to buy any coral right now but I want to see what is there and it sounds like there may be more than just coral to check out. Is there a meeting this month or is the Frag swap replacing the normal meeting?

Tim