Dolabella Sea Hare Doesn't Like Salad

mermaiddreams

Premium Member
I purchased a Dolabella Sea Hare about 2 weeks ago hoping that it would eat some of the green stuff growing on my live rock. Unfortunately it hasn't touched any of it - I only see it eating algae off the glass and overflow box. I thought these guys liked salad? Any thoughts or ideas..... Candace

It depends on what type of algae you've got growing. There are a few types such as Bryopsis that most herbivores won't touch. If it isn't a preferred algae, then they won't eat it. It would really help if you could identify the type of algae and then hopefully we can give you a good method of removal. I'd find a new home for the hare unless you can provide food for it. I've kept them going on nori sheets for a while.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

I do have two types of algae going on. I have Bryopsis which I have to manually remove as no one will eat that. Unfortunately it grows in places that are hard to reach. I've kept my magnesium at 1500+ for a long time hoping to get rid of it but I haven't had the Tech-M luck that other aquarist's have. The other algae is the kind that my urchins will eat - they just can't get into the nooks and crannies in some of the live rock. I was hoping the hare would graze on it but doesn't. I'm not sure how to get nori down to the hare either - I have 2 tangs and a foxface that will not share...

Candace