Do you know of a critter that eats polyps?

Alex

Premium Member
I have a base rock with Texas trash and button polyps and I need to find a critter that would get rid of them. Any suggestions?
I tried a formia star fish, but nothing.
I was told to get a clown crab but I can't locate a place to buy it from.

@digital_gods wrote:
Kill them with Kalk injections. said:
My tank is 3 ft tall and it would require a very long syringe and acrobatic skills to do it. I found 3 ft long syringes used for animal vaccination but I was looking for a critter to go to work instead. Also the syringe tip is too big for the small polyps.
I also have tried the majano wand, but when I hit the little ones, they shrivel up and become invisible. Then a couple of days later they show up again...

Might try a large angel fish but that can be hit or miss. Also try puffers I had a dogface that loved polyps, just not sure about trash ones.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

A hungry Angelfish will make quick work of polyps lol. You could try superglue gel. Might take awhile to hit each polyp, but that's how I get rid of aptasia.

@Badbrad8500 wrote:
A hungry Angelfish will make quick work of polyps lol. You could try superglue gel. Might take awhile to hit each polyp said:
Hmmm. you're the second person recommending an angelfish. My tank is full of SPS and not sure they will be safe?

BTW, how do you mean to use superglue? I have a 3ft reach before I can put a tube of glue down there and squeeze. My arms are not long enough.

What about covering them with something like a sheet of opaque plastic, ceramic tile, etc.? Fill the edges with some reef epoxy then chip it off once you think the stuff underneath is dead.

Could ask someone for zoanthid eating nudibranch, sundial snail. And of course Long nose butterflies, and certain angels.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

zoa nudis only eat zoanthids.. not palys.

Alex.. your best bet is to take expoxy... flatten it out into a 1/4 sheet then lay it on top and pinch over the rocks to secure it. Manual removal does not work as there is always tissue left behind or floaters. Nothing I know of eats them. basically just make new surface LR with the epoxy. They will survive kalk, vinegar etc.... you can get creative with extended reach tools, grips etc to reach.

First I'd like to thank you all for all the suggestions so far.

I'm leaning towards using black plastic to cover up the tx trash palys. How long should I have them covered up before they die? Would it take days or weeks?

Watch your readings as when the dying process starts it will send your readings through the roof...I personally would give it about 2 weeks to make sure death is a sure thing and not just hiding in the rocks.

I would bet it takes closer to a couple months to kill them off with no light. I've had Zoas that were placed on a rock in my sump with no lights for a couple weeks then moved back up and still living.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.