Do i need to feed my new 3 inch maxima?

Richard

Premium Member
[Does my new 3 inch maxima need feeding, if
so, do you just poor dt's into the tank or tank the clam
out an feed it in a bowl?]

[I've read it done both ways. Peter might have some good insight, as well as Mrs Kevin.

Personally, I don't think clams want to be handled ever other day. And you do have to feed them at least every other day. They have a foot that they extend to attach themselves and you wouldn't want to damage that food as you pulled the clam out just to feed it, right?

Figure out your total water volume, then match that number with the correct dosage of DTs. Then <u>gradually</u> over time, you can increase that amount of food up to double that amount. The benefit is you won't be feeding only the clam, but all types of micro fauna, including copepods, ampipods, feather dusters, sponges and more. I don't know it for a fact, but I think corals snack on it as well.

Another good thing I've noticed by feeding DTs is that I have less algae growing on the glass. Less cleanings necessary.]

[This is "Mrs. Kevin." :D Personally I do not take my clam out of the tank to feed my little maximas, but I have *very* strong lighting thanks to my hubby & his SPS obsession. I guess it depends on the type and amount of lighting you have. I do feed DT's in the tank twice to three times a week. When I got my first "baby" clam I took it out and fed it all the time but I lost that one within a matter of a few weeks. Now that I do not pick them up all of my clams are, well, happy as a clam.

Just a hint, though, make sure your clam has something to attach to if you are placing it on the sand. For some reason this seems to make them grow better. I'm not sure why, but it works for many people. It also makes life easier when you need to pick them up. Of course, you can do what my big clam did and attach to a snail shell. Unfortunately the snail was still *in* the shell. The clam didn't care obviously. :) I'll send in a pic for you to see.

Hope this helped!
Cindy (AKA Mrs. Kevin)]