Do I have time for a saltwater tank?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this hobby and I have been wanting to get into it for a really long time.  I'm looming at gwtting a 90 gallon...  Here is the thing..  I have a 9 month old baby and I do plan on having another baby within the year.  Do I have the time for this hobby?  I'm interested in beginner fish and corals.  I'm not against automation.  Anyone else have babies in this hobby?

Personally i wouldn't do it unless you have an expert at your call and you are ready to dump a fistful of cash for quality automation devices.  You can watch DIY fishkeeper, and see his Lion Fish [ maybe do a clown only tank since you have kids ] tank for easy saltwater if you really want to do it.  But if i were you, and you have never done freshwater - i would do freshwater 40 gallon.  Go do a male african cichild tank with kids and call it a day - super easy.  It's taken me 8 years of constant learning to be able to walk away from the saltwater tank for 3 weeks while not touching it and having it fully automated.Oh and put gfci's on those tanks with the kids around.  Don't let them electrocute themselves.  I've electrocuted myself a few times. Go watch MeleveReefs videos on youtube. He lays out all the stuff you need for saltwater - it's a lot.

If you really want to get into it and time is an issue, I would start out with fish only. Once you start adding corals, allot more time is spent to keep things stable for coral. Maybe see how fish only goes. Also don't go too big to start, try small like a little all-in-one biocube or something. That is how I started for the first couple years and really enjoyed it. I started adding easy coral and never had to dose anything, just small water changes every couple weeks. Post if you need help!

I agree there is a lot you can learn in the SW hobby. However today the all in one system can make your life much easier starting with fish and then adding some soft corals latter. many of our members have young kids and the SW tank can be a great family hobby. I think the 29 gallon is a great size, large enough for clowns and soft corals. Easy to get water from an LFS for water changes. Welcome to the hobby, I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. 

I agree with all above.I started saltwater without knowing what I was getting myself into.Spent heck a load of money on my 91 gallon system & 22 gallon anemone tank.Had ups and downs, but mostly it was downs... seriously.Ick, dino bloom, qt tank, hospital tank, etc etcEven last week, I had serious talk with my wife about getting rid of the system.Way too much stress while spending high $$$. All in all, if you run around 45 gallon All In One system with FISH ONLY, it'll be real easy.

Even then I would strongly recommend a temperature controller for a heater, and maybe an apex jr [ depends how well you deal with fish dying ] . Also are you good with power outages - maybe $100 ups for the heater on the controller.  Plus a gfci so your kiddos don't get electrocuted - $15.  Plus you will need an RO system - unless you plan on hauling water - did that for years [ not worth it ].  Yeah Saltwater is hard.  Plus saltwater mix and pump to mix salt in bucket.   $30 refractomer, and $10 calibrator solution. Also pump and long tubing to do water changes. Yeah even an easy tank grab an experience person help you set it up.  Still going with the freshwater cichild idea.  I've had them down to 62 degrees and up to 90 without any deaths.  Just don't forget the declorinator. They are tank, water, fish, de$clorinator, canister filter.Yeah sit down with someone in the hobby so they can get a feel for what you want, and provide you with options - and maybe save your tank when something fails. 

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement.  This week has been pretty tough as my baby has been teething like crazy it just seems that the 9/10 month Mark is one hectic time.  I have been barely able to do housework as he is my tiny little Shadow so taken care of a 90 gallon saltwater tank on a weekly basis sounds like a lot of work right now for me.  On top of that last night we had a power outage due to a thunderstorm.  After thinking about it the cost the time last night's power outage I have decided to wait until I can give this hobby my full attention, or at least more than I have now lol.