DIY Rock Pillar Supports with nylon rod

txbj PMed me about how I did my rock pillar supports with Acrylic rods, so I thought I would start a thread on it for others. Unfortunately I didn't plan on it being a DIY thread when I did it, so I didn't take any pictures along the way. [smilie=sadsmile.gif]

Tools/supplies:
Hack saw
Cordless drill
3/8" masonry drill bit
5/16" old (dull) drill bit
3/8-16 tap
3/8-16 threaded nylon rod
.220 thick acrylic sheet
(Everything but the rod is stocked at Home Depot)

First of all, let me show you a picture of my tank/aquascaping:
tank1v.jpg
alt="">

I used 2 6" rods on each of the 3 pillared rocks pictured (2 on left, one on right). To give you an idea of scale, the 2 on the outer edges are 15" tall and the really big one is 19" tall.

Step 1- Decide the angle you want the rock to stand and then use the hacksaw to cut off about an inch from the base of the rock at the angle you want to give the rock a flat surface to stand on. Depending on the center of gravity created by your angle, the rock may or may not stand on its own. Don't worry if it doesn't.

Step 2- Take a 3/8" masonry bit and drill your support holes in the rock. You want to make sure the holes are not at an angle, are near the core of the rock, and will be at a place where it can go 6" in without popping out the side of the rock. The bit I used was about 6" long and I just kept drilling until I could drill no further. I then test fit the rod in the hole. It was snug, so I went in and out of the whole several times with the drill bit to bore it out a little until the rod would slide in and out easily. In hindsight, I might have experimented with a 7/16" bit, but I didn't have one on hand. I placed my holes about 3" apart.

Step 3- Cut off a piece of Acrylic for the rock to stand on. I bought the 24x18x.220 sheet from Home Depot and cut it into 4 pieces that were each about 12" x 9". I would not recommend the thinner acrylic they sell as you want to be able to get enough threads in there for the rod to screw in to securely. If Marc sees this, he may have more input on size/source for the acrylic. [smilie=wink.gif]

Step 4- Figure out where you want the rock sitting on the acrylic. if the center of gravity has the rock leaning to the left, you want the rock offset to the right on the acrylic to give it more support. With the rock positioned, mark the spot where your holes meet the acrylic. You can do this on the bottom of the acrylic with a sharpie as you look through the acrylic to your drill holes.

Step 4- Drill your pilot holes in the acrylic using a 5/16" drill bit. I had drilled my first hole with an old bit and it went fine. When I bought the tap, it came with a brand new bit for the pilot hole. When I tried the new bit, it caused the acrylic to chunk and crack. I went back to the old bit and had no more problems. I am sure there is a technique reason for my issues with the new bit but I haven't looked around the internet for an explanation. Again, lets hope Marc sees this and comments. [smilie=lol.gif]

Step 5- Tap the holes- Pretty straight forward... you put the tap in the pilot hole and slowly turn it. I would do about 1.5 turns, then back it out 1/4 turn, then repeat and this seemed to work well.

Step 6- Screw your nylon rods in to the holes

Step 7- Test fit rock onto the newly created base. I ended up having to bore out a few rock holes a little more at this point to get them to slide in easier.

Step 8- Tank placement. I first placed all my new acrylic stands with rods in the tank where I wanted them. I then placed my egg crate in, sliding it over the rods. I also tossed a little sand in around the rods (just enough to fill the egg crate in areas that would be covered by the rock). Then it was just a matter of sliding the rocks on to their stands.

@matt_longview wrote:
Good... I was beginning to wonder if anyone cared! [smilie=rofl.gif] If you haven't already watched the youtube videos from BRS on aquascaping, I recommend it as they are helpful. With that said, I tried to create a tunnel in the largest of the pukani rocks I received using a wood chisel as they recommended. I was less than 1/3 of the way through it when the rock split in half. I ended up cleaning up the break edge on each piece with the hacksaw to stand each piece up. From left to right, they are now pillar 3 and 4. Being shorter with huge flat bottoms, I did not need to create a base to support those pieces like the other 3.

I wish you did have pictures of what you did as you did it. It would have been quite interesting.

I had an acrylic support system under my rockwork, but I have yet to post my article. (Need to do that) I used acrylic rod glued into an acrylic base plate. The base was 3/8" thick and the rods were 1/2" and 3/4" thick to act as tripods for each base rock (the foundation pieces for the entire aquascape).

You have the rod screwed into the 1/4" base plate, and then eggcrate then rock, correct? Mine was 4" from the bottom of the tank to the bottom point of the rock, and all that void was filled with sand. That way if the sand moved, the reef didn't. It worked great, and I hated that I had to pull it all out to get the aquarium fixed. A lot of hard work gone, something I'll have to redo virtually from scratch when I get my tank back. Why? Because as you know as soon as you take a rock out of your tank, it's nearly impossible to put it back in the exact same way it came out. The odds of me getting even some of the rocks right will be pure luck.

Your picture seems to indicate that you have archways between every pillar. Is that just a visual effect or is that actually the case? Looks like plenty of flat surfaces for corals.

@Marc wrote:
I wish you did have pictures of what you did as you did it. It would have been quite interesting. said:
OK... Since I had extras of everything but the rock, I recreated most of the process and took pics... will post them in a minute.
@Marc wrote:
You have the rod screwed into the 1/4" base plate said:
Correct. My tank is only 11" wide, and the rock is as much as 9 1/2" wide at a couple points, so it it was very important that I got the placement just right, and that it couldn't move. I first test fit the base and rock in the tank without the egg crate to get the base plate in the exact place I wanted. I then removed the rock, and placed the egg crate in, sliding it over the rod. the egg crate is just a hair narrower that the tank, so it can't move much if at all. With the 1/2" squares of the egg crate sliding over the 3/8" rod, it keeps the rod (and therefore the rock) from moving much at all. IF I had to remove all my rock, I know that at-least the 3 pillars would be able to go back into the exact same place thanks to the rods that can't move.
@Marc wrote:
Your picture seems to indicate that you have archways between every pillar. Is that just a visual effect or is that actually the case? Looks like plenty of flat surfaces for corals. said:
Yes... There are 5 archways that were made by wedging smaller rocks between the pillars. I decided I wanted lots of archways after seeing Rodney's 500g tang tank. He had at least a dozen archways and 10+ XL tangs of different varieties, and the tangs would weave through the archways at high speed like they were going through a slalom course. It was so much fun to watch them and they looked like they were having so much fun, so it made me want to incorporate them into my design.

I am not sure if my lighting will support a lot of the corals, but I will at least experiment with things that don't need a lot of light like mushrooms. My wife wants an RBTA but I am afraid the lighting just won't be enough for one to do well.

OK... here are some pics I took as I re-created a few of the steps this evening:

Drilling the 5/16" pilot hole in the acrylic:
20120610191007.jpg
alt="">

Using the tap to create threads in the hole:
20120610191158.jpg
alt="">

The nylon threaded rod screwed into the acrylic base plate:
20120610191318.jpg
alt="">

The eggcrate placed over the rod to keep it from moving. I also have the masonry bit in the picture... it was used to drill through the rocks like butter:

20120610191508.jpg
alt="">

After seeing this, I want to set up a new tank just so I can use this idea!

David

Very timely and thanks for the information. Planning my tank upgrade and I want to spend a fair amount of time getting the aquascaping together. Recommended source for threaded nylon rod?

@MBSL55 wrote:
Very timely and thanks for the information. Planning my tank upgrade and I want to spend a fair amount of time getting the aquascaping together. Recommended source for threaded nylon rod? said:
Zorotools.com
In the supplies list in the first post, click it and it takes you right to the 6 foot 3/8-16 white rod.

You did good. Nice adding all those pictures for everyone to see.

What is the purpose of the egg crate? It seems to me that it would create areas where flow and CUC couldn't reach so it could create a nitratate farm over time. What am I missing here? (Please forgive my ignorance.)

@sunfun wrote:
What is the purpose of the egg crate? It seems to me that it would create areas where flow and CUC couldn't reach so it could create a nitratate farm over time. What am I missing here? (Please forgive my ignorance.) said:
There does seem to be debate over its use in the sand bed, but what I found was a) a lot of people that used it without a problem or b) a few vocal people that worried that it might cause problems. I found no reports of people that actually had problems because of it. For me, it "locks" my bases in place and it also does a good job of preventing rocks without a base from moving. with all the arches, I have lateral pressures on the rocks. It was next to impossible for me to get the rocks the way I wanted them when testing it outside of the tank without egg crate under them. The rock to egg crate surface contact is like velcro in stopping the lateral forces.

@MBSL55 wrote:
Thanks for the follow-up information. said:
No problem... I am just glad some people are finding it useful... Sometimes it is hard to feel like a useful contributor as a newbie to a hobby. [smilie=surprised.gif]

That makes sense. Thanks for the write up. Great contribution!

Does your egg crate go from one side of the tank all the way to the other (Does it cover the entire bottom?), or is it just under the base rock of your pillar?

@sunfun wrote:
That makes sense. Thanks for the write up. Great contribution! Does your egg crate go from one side of the tank all the way to the other (Does it cover the entire bottom?) said:
Thanks! I have it covering 95% of the bottom of the tank... it is in 4 pieces so there are a few small gaps.

Nice write up man and I will be using some of these ideas. I like your setup and love the use of rods in aquariums today. The wife and I have been looking at aquascaping our upcoming build and we really like what Sanjay did with the towers and the rods. I like the threaded rods you used on your build and will try to incorporate them in our attempt.
Great job and thanks for posting this.