DIY lighting mount using 80/20 (pic hvy)

Well... this project came out pretty well and I am satisfied enough to want to share it with others.

One thing I have always been aggravated with is the lack of available light mounting systems. I started many years ago using actinics that had little legs on them to mount to the top rim of my tank. Well that was fine until I began tinkering with MH, T5 and LED systems. What I found was that there is no real way of safely hanging them when using suspended ceiling mount kits are not an option. Trust me, Ive used every type of shepherds hook, ceiling suspension kit, and anything else creative that I have been able to get my hands on ( I am not into canopies). It just seems like the leg mount idea is not as popular for some reason these days so no one is manufacturing them. OK enough with that rant...

Here is what I have:

75 gallon oceanic bow front that is RR with tons of my favorite stuff in it.
Unique LED 48" with RGWB dimmable LED and two T5s'......but no mounting option so it has been sitting on the top of my tank now for a few months. Growing problem algae like crazy [smilie=angry.gif] [smilie=angry.gif] [smilie=angry.gif] .

I recently learned of a company called 80/20. They make extruded metal in all types of sizes and advertise it as an erector set for grown ups. http://www.8020.net/ [smilie=rofl.gif]
after a few measurements and plenty of head scratching, I designed a new mount that I think others may want to look into if you are having the same dilemma as I have had. Keep in mind that there are infinite amounts of ways to configure this stuff. It is expensive, but well worth it if your mounting options are limited. I wanted something strong and modern looking to match the rest of the furniture in my house. I also just found out after purchasing everything that they make this stuff in a black anodysed (spelling?)finish as well.

Here are some pics. Please keep in mind that I had to drain the tank to get it away from the wall so I could mount the brackets with the carriage bolts. It was cloudy at the time I took the photos. Enjoy

Build process:
alt="">
alt="">
alt="">
alt="">

Installed [smilie=lol.gif] :

alt="">
alt="">

I saw this setup in person this past weekend and it looks really really good.... The 80/20 product was a great idea. Very sturdy, no flexing or bowing.

In the Maker world, we use Mitsumi brand a lot for our lighter projects like 3D printers and CNC. I know Mitsumi will cut to spec. Just wanted to share as alternative resource. http://us.misumi-ec.com