Digital timer - feed mode

[Has anyone tried this "Countdown" feature on digital timer available at Home Depot for under $20 ? I could not get it to work. I might have gotten it to work if timer is unplug first. But it would be a hassel to plug and unplug. I need a one button solution!!

What I'm trying to do is set a variable time (15-75 min) with pump shut off. Feed the tank, walk away. Then say at 15 min, pump turns back on.]

[You sound like me! I was wanting that over a year ago.

They have those timer switches at Home Depot that you are able to use in a bathroom to turn on the light for a few minutes, depending how far you turn it (up to 60 mins) and it ticks away as it counts down to the "off" position.

I was told you could wire it backwards to where it is off when you twist it, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me. I guess you'd run the white wires to that side instead of the black, but I didn't try it out.

FWIW, my Tunze turbelle has a push button (it's RED!) that I can press for feeding time, and that powerhead turns off for about 7 mins or so. Pretty neat option. I don't really know why no-one has made a device like this for the hobby community! Do I have to do everything myself??!?! ]

[Thanks Marc -

Yeah, most wave maker/timer has a feed button - but I bet you it does not let you specify how long.

In case of feeding clams - I would like the pump and/or skimmer off for half an hour. Often time I would shut off pump - watch TV - and 1 hour later I would say - oops..I forgot.

Peter]

[Peter,

There is a style of timer that has pegs that you can pull up around the timer dial. The timer won't turn on and off if all the pegs are down. When you want to feed, turn it off and pull up the next peg in line. It will turn on when the timer dail reaches that peg. They are usually under $10.]

[Brad, we want a BUTTON!!!! That way, no matter what time we finally feed, we hit a button, drop in the food, and walk away knowing all will be well.]