Diary of my new 120 RR!

raggedfinfirefish

Premium Member
Hey guys, about a month ago I started assembling my new 120 tank, and decided now, about a month later, that I'd really like a journal to showcase its progression, but unfortunatly I didn't take many pictures or anything, so bear with me while I reccount my adventures, and show you pictures of whats going on now!

To begin the adventure, on March 25 at about noon I arrived at a Drs Office in coppel to meet Marine Snow and we begin to dissasemble the monster. It had been running soly the ecosystem and the C/L with about 40 gallons of water and a 40ish LB mixture of base and live rock along with all the 100ish lbs of live sand. The dissasembling and loading into the truck was to say the least

[[H E L L]]

but, after everything was loaded up, and back at my place, I called a family friend and we beagan moving the beast into place. This took another 2 hours in addition to the 4 or 5 we spent at the Drs office. At this point, I had about an inch of water over the sand and all the rock in a tub with a powerhead and fell into a deep slumber.

The next day, I went plumbing supply shopping, to reconnect what we had to disassmble to move it, and got the C/L and return lines plumbed without any leaks, but unfortunatly the bulkheads and drain line were leaky. So, my dad and I tipped up the tank, and tightened the bulkheads and got them to work with no leaks! Unfortunatly the drain line was not so easy, so the next day I completly reworked and plumbed the whole drainline, and it too is leak free!

Later that week, I employed 2 of my stronger friends, and we pushed the thing into its final location, as it had to be out from the wall somewhat to plumb. I then added in 100lbs of new sand in addition to the old stuff to make some jawfish heaven and added in about 55 gallons of RODI salt from franks (far too lazy to mix it up)

I then later that night I picked up 25 more gallons, and the rock that had been circulating and got the closed loop running.

All this time, the 'fuge was running on itself (circulating due to the skimmer) and growing like crazy!

The next week, after seeing constant .25 ppm ammonia, I added a good 10lbs of nice rock from frank, and do a little re-aquascaping. Heres what I ended up with...

IMG_0338.jpg
alt="">

Keep in mind, I'm looking for a two island sort of thing, and have about 90lbs of rock in my current tank that I will transfer over.

Anyways, after another week of .25 ammonia, I added another beatiful 10lbs of rock from frank, very very porus meaning bacteria right? My theory was that I didn't have enough bacteria to keep up with the death/dying stuff right? Unfortunatly today it is still .25, but heres my new improved aquascape!

IMG_0369.jpg
alt="">

heres the one island, i'm still thinking I need to rework the top part, I'm planning on keeping my "invasive" specis such as GSP, clove polyps, my two BTAS, zoas, and other aggressive corals like my frogspawn, torch, and braniching hammers over here too.

IMG_0372.jpg
alt="">

And finally, here is the tank in its final resting place!

1f8ebcb4.jpg
alt="">

Other minor news, was that last night my oceans motions 4 way suddenly stopped switching outlets, so I gave them a call and their customer service guy ( i suspect the owner) sat and walked me through the repair, and didn't hang up for about an hour untill it was completly done. I was simply stunned and INCREDIBLY impressed with thier service, and even though it is pricy I can DEFINATLY see why.

Anyways, tell me what you think!

Good potential, and lots of space to work with, I would take out those PVC pieces that are on the return for the CL and color them blue(same as backround) other than that, the tank is looking good. What kind of fish do you plan on keeping?

Good Luck

Blue sharpie works, If your getting good coraline growth then I would just leave it.
What are your plans for this tank?
Equipment?
Fish?
Corals?

Ah i completly forgot!

Heres the equipment...

120 (4 by 2 by 2) RR
Tall stand (36ish")
18" Canopy
Dual 250 Reeflux Halides
4 (but only 2 operational now) 110 watt URI VHOs
30 gallon ecosystem sump
Remora Pro Skimmer
Pan world 1270gph return
Dart and Oceanmotions 4 way CL
100lbs of araginte sand
100lbs of live sand
50lbs of LR (going to add 90 from my current tank)

Fish-

Currently in my 58...
Pair of false percs
flame hawk
coral beauty
solar wrasse
manderian (eats misis)
Lawnmower blenny
and I just added a foxface (in preparation for the transfer)

I'd also like to addd
two yellowheaded jawfish
copperband butterfly
and a royal gramma

Corals I alrady have...

Wall Hammer
Branching Frogspawn
BTA
RBTA
Clove Polyps
Varios Zoas
Devil's hand
Candy cane
Some various shrooms
bubble
green brain

and i plan to add some more euphilia, some crocea and dersa clams, as well as some easier to keep SPS that would tolerate nitrates in the 10ish zone.

just to let you know, jawfish need a deep sand bed. They like to bury themselves straight up and down for the most part, so the sand needs to be about as deep as they are long.

Dont worry man, I've got a 4" all over, 5" in some places. The pics are at a wierd angle, and the trim is a little deciving. GOod news today, after verifying it with both mine, and Frank's test kits, my levels are all 0! I'm going to transfer wednesday or tommorrow if I can get my act together. I'm going to make a final list and post it here tommorrow.

Good thread so far. Paul from OM is very helpful, I totally agree.

Long time no update but all i can say is transfering tanks is nearly as tough as moving them! I've been at it since 8, and finally "finished" for the night. Let me take you through my events....

-Grabbed some airline tubing at petsmart and came home

-Got my 3 rubbermaid tubs cleaned, lined with trashbags (didn't trust the "clean") and cut the airline tubing into 3 8" lenghts

-Fed the fish, while checking temps and salinities

-drained water into the 3 rubbermaids, and transfred first corals, then inverts and finally fish into the containers

-with my moms help (16 here) we ran the coralless rocks into the new tank room, and "tossed in"

-Couldn't find manderian, but dragged all the tubs into the new tank room, and started a siphon with the airline tubings I'd set up

-Frantically searched for the manderian (took out all the sand and sifted it) and luckily with my little sisters help, dreged the overflow box and found him!

-Did some small cleanup in the rooms, and monitired the modified "drip" going on

-Watched the end of Mavs regulation, and helped the drip along

-During the OT, emptied half of the buckets, and filled with new tank water to make it about 1/32 old tank water.

-After the finish, moved all corals, inverts, and fish into the new tank

-Filled to the correct level, with the extra water in the bins and fired up the return pump for the first time

-finished the clean up

Wow, what a day with moderatly few screw ups but here they are

-dropped a rock on my brain coral :( he looks fine, just broke a little bit of his skeleton
-Mixed up the sand before finding my last fishes (manderian was the biggest problem)
-one of the buckets got a little cold, and the fish looked alright at first, but much better now and should be fine

Well, now all thats in the question is how you guys think i should "light acclimate" my corals. They're coming from 4*39 watt T-5 to 500 watts of halide, and 220 of VHO, where can i pickup light screen? I have the halides set for an hour tommorrow and the VHOs for normal time period (12 hours)

Whew, sleepy time! Will post pics if requested....

I'll try tommorrow, i just did a little attempt at aquascaping, but don't have it anywhere near good yet on the left, and the bottom of the right.

Well, some neutral and negitive news late tonight, the neutral is that i belive i have a decent aquascape, probably just temporary on the left, but the right is definatly looking good. Bad news is that my lawnmowerbleeny went tile surfing during the adventure, and i didn't find him untill he was dried out. To be optimistic, he was the only fish I didn't have a particularly strong attachment to, and basically my least favorite. If I'd lost any of my others, it'd been quite an ordeal.

your doing a great job. Keep up the good work. You have a lot of dedication for a 16 year old. Good luck with it, Breezy