Dead long nose butterfly - any help?

About 5-days ago I noticed my yellow long nose butterfly had swelling around the top and bottom fins, but he was eating/acting fine. A few days later, this wasn't the case. I was able to catch the fish and put it in my sump while I set up my QT tank on Saturday. I came home today to check on him and run tests on my QT, but I found him dead. I've never had this issue before, so any help is appreciated for the next one I get. Here are a few pic's:

IMAG0171.jpg
alt="">

IMAG0172.jpg
alt="">

He looks really bruised in the pictures and his fins look like they were chewed up by another fish, but this wasn't the case when I caught him. I Google'd a few things trying to figure out what the cause of this was, but the best I could come up with was a bacterial infection? Anyone have ideas? How to cure this in future?

Thanks!

Wow, I've never seen something like that before. Hopefully someone will chime in with a cause. Sorry about the loss of your fish.

Wow sorry for your loss and also would like to know what you find out. I will be following along.

Yes, this is very strange and the first time I've ever seen anything like it. I have looked on the national forums and haven't had much luck finding anything. I did come across a webpage that was about 5-7yrs old where someone described a similar problem with their YLN butterfly and it was stated to be a bacterial infection. I'm not certain if this is the case, but I would like to know, just for closure. I guess it could be a good thing that not many have had this experience, makes me feel better for the next time I get a YLN. I will continue researching and hopefully I can find out some more information.

How long have you had the fish and did you qt before putting in the tank if the fish was brand new

If fish has been around awhile did you any new livestock to your tank corals or fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had the fish for a while now, not sure exactly when I bought it, but it has been several months. The fish was QT'd before entering my system, yes. It has eaten well and I have not had any problems with it since this occurrence. I have added one fish, a midas blenny, and some coral after introducing the YLN into my tank.