CoralVue Ballasts

ToddLaCo

Premium Member
Second question:

Does anyone know if CoralVue Electronic 400 Watt MH Ballasts are good or bad, especially from personally experience. I can get a fairly good deal on these and would like to order them if they are a quality product.

Thanks

Todd I have one now that i acquired and decided i want to go with a 250w eballast. if you have one for trade great, if not i would sell it.

i have really only tested it and it seems quite in operation and stays pretty cool with the built in fans.

FYI, the model with the built in fans is the old style and they no longer have parts to repair them. I had a pair of 250w that worked great for 2 years until one of them stopped firing. Coralvue tried to charge me $70 to have it replaced with the current model even though I was still under my 2 year warranty period. I relayed this to the vendor who sold them to me and they told Coralvue to either honor their warranty or lose their business! Needless to say, I got a new model. :D

That aside, the new model is great and even quieter than the old one. I like 'em.

Yea, coralvue is a pretty good ballast. I had 2 250's for 3 years never had a problem. David at Coralvue, is a good friend of mine and he's a standup guy when it come to warranting his product.

I believe Robert has one of their ballasts now as well. Maybe he'll chime in as well. (fish2morow)

Yes, I have a 250 now but its not been put in use just yet, only ran it a day or so. Put off as much or less heat as an Ice Cap 250 and has a built in heat sink. Burns the Reeflux bulb a lot better IMO.

Chuck, the dimmable ones are only manually dimmable.

They are mainly so you can dim the light and burn less electricity. Not much advantage in the dimming ability unless your at your tank daily when lights come on...