Corals are bleaching

tshirtsbyjeff

Membership Expired
I have a 29 biocube that I retrofitted with 2 stock 36w actinics and a 150w mh 4 fans and a 1/4hp jbj chiller.

Ok I have been having a problem with my corals bleaching. Anytime I move any of my corals out of the shade and into the 150w ushio 14k they start to bleach. I put them back into the shade and the zoas open back up and mt purple haze and hawkins gain their color back. Any ideas do I need to change to a different bulb??? I have lost my true purple hornets, tubs blue and purple haze:( please help!!!!!!

Oh yeah the mh's run 3:30 hr out of the day which I have been slowly increasing 5 minutes ever 5 to 6 days! Actinics run7 hrs a day

you may just have to acclimate more slowly. Although its sounds like thats what you been doing. What are all your water parameters just in case? How long has the tank been cycled? I had the same problem with my leds at first. Are you moving them into the light at the bottom or mid way up or what?....from the shade as you call it. Whats your salinity? Alk calc ph ...

@Saltpro wrote:
you may just have to acclimate more slowly. Although its sounds like thats what you been doing. What are all your water parameters just in case? How long has the tank been cycled? I had the same problem with my leds at first. Are you moving them into the light at the bottom or mid way up or what?....from the shade as you call it. Whats your salinity? Alk calc ph ... said:
agreed...cut your initial time down to only an hour at for now, get them used to that, then slowly start increasing it

Hey what is uv shielded?? Wes thank you I will start that tomorrow! What do I do when I go to add frags later! And also how fast do I extend the lights past an hour?

A single ended bulb does not have to be UV shielded with UV rated glass. The double ended bulb has to have UV glass in between the bulb and the water.

The double ended MH bulbs throw off massive UV rays. It will even give you a sun burn if you keep your skin under it for long. You have to have a UV blocking glass between those bulbs and your tank or the UV will litterly cook everything in the tank.
You can also have the same problem with the single ended or mogul base bulbs if the outer glass case cracks at all or at least that is what the gentleman who gave the presentation at the last meeting said.

If you are using a double ended MH you need to get a piece of UV filtered glass in there before you use them again!

It has uv glass that I got from nanotuners.com when I got the kit! Do I need to get another piece that will over the entire surface of the water or is the glass in the fixtue enough? The fixtures ends are open and unfiltered light gets out that way! Also would it help going to a 20k or 50k instead of the 14k that i have??? I turned my lights down to 1 hr and left the actinics at 7! We'll see how that does! Anymore thought?

i tend to increase my time by an hour a week when i change bulbs and i initially cut it down by half.