Coral Makes Threatened Species List

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdf/050303%20status%20review.pdf

Here is the original publication that lead to the CITES restriction of importation of A. Palmata, A. Cervicornis and A. Prolifera.

There will be many more restrictions on the importation of marine ornamentals in the next few years. It is relatively easy for any politician to tack on fish and invertebrate importation restriction. When most believe that our hobby "contributes to destruction of the reefs", someone can acheive quick political gain when they are peceived that they are saving the world by adding to a bill in the senate or house. By not truly understanding the growth rates of these reef building corals and believing the myths that it takes a coral reef 100 years to grow 2 inches lead to these type of knee jerk reactions.

As a society that preaches promoting captive propagation, we collectively need to initiate ways that the club can lead by example to show that captive propagation is not only viable, but also distributing species through out the members. I fear that these restrictions (although appropriate) are the first of many to come while we follow in the foots steps of Europe :sad: .

No, I didn't see that one. I think that the invasive species paranoia is a little over rated. The concept of competitive exclusion principle probably can never be prooven. Just because one non native species is transplanted into another niche doesn't mean that it will out compete for resources that it is capable of using.

I did read a cool article in the february/March 2006 of Coral magazine (must have subscription to any reefing nerd!!!!) about an aquarist who put in native philippine snails from the family Muricidae into his tank. He thought that they would feed on algae and burrow in his substrate. Much to his shigrin, they ended up eating his clam.