Coral ID - War Coral

Is this a true war coral? I was told by a few it was and it was sold as such, but i have seen several variations of it.....what do you think? Had several ask to buy a chunk of it, what is the going rate and best way to frag it? I doubt i will frag it because i really like it, but there are some other things i want to trade...soooo we will see.

War coral is the 'Tyree' brand name of the favia pentagonia (sp.) that he supplied off his site. Unless you got it from him or a frag that originated with him, its not a true War Coral. However, it is a favia pentgonia. The main difference I see between yours and the 'real' one is that you have more green marbling. The original War Coral tends to grow almost exclusively in the red. There are some that have shown marbling, but its very limited on the overall coral.

Frag with a tile saw or band saw, cutting the tissue and base. You can attach that to a disc or piece of LR etc and it will start to encrust from there.

As far as price... the Tyree variety has been going for 50-60 a small frag, typically 3-4 heads. Non-Tyree.. you can get a colony 4 or 5" for about $100 or so if you shop around. Aussie favias are coming down in price and in popularity, just like the acans etc so the prices are not what they once were. The tyree war coral used to be over $100 per frag to give you an idea.

Thanks for the info. Not really wanting to sell any of it but was going to trade a buddy for some stuff, good to know. I really like the coloration as it is pretty bright and i like the mix of colors that it has. I might frag a few pieces of it so i can bank it as well. Thanks for the tips!

Tri, PM me your number, have not heard form you in a while, you should come check out the tank and the progress....we need to catch up, have some questions for you! :lol:

dude, you cant chop that thing up, growth looks really nice, i like its shape...great piece man