coral growth, 1 year tank anniversary

hnurge

Premium Member
Staff member
hi everyone. well, its almost mid July and water first hit my main display tank about a year ago. i still haven't updated my build thread, and really, my tank build hasn't been finished. however the main lighting and filtration was ready a year ago, and since then i have been enjoying the husbandry side too much to finish up the cosmetic and automation related components.
that said, i deemed the tank ready for coral last august, and since then have been adding new specimens at a pretty high rate. one thing i discovered early on is that it can be hard to tell from day to day if a particular specimen is thriving or just surviving. i started taking detailed photos and notes last November, so next year i can do a much better growth record - but for now, here are a few that i did have at least marginally acceptable photos of from last august and today.

note: these aren't the corals that have grown best, or prettiest, or rarest that i have - just a somewhat random selection of 12 corals that i had photographed back last august and again this week. a few of the colonies (like the zoanthids and cyphastrea) have been fragged a few times. also, there has been a month here and there where tank health was less than optimum, and growth reduced or receded. i welcome comments on the rates visible here, and hope it may give newcomers some idea what to expect (or not to - again, let us know in comments).

[attachment=0]7-7-2014 growth_low.JPG[/attachment]

hi all, sorry for the slow replies, was out of town on a business trip..
i had a couple of small reef tanks about 10-18 years ago. got back into the hobby about 2 years ago. tested some ideas in a small tank that is now my frag tank. this is my first big reef tank though, in fact, my first tank larger than 75g at all... and 15-20 years ago you didn't usually grow coral in a small system.. you just kept it alive for as long as you could. the advances in the hobby are awesome.
as for lights, I run LED's. all custom/homebuilt/DIY systems. i have a fixture that is 56x3w LED's in a 50/50 mix of 6500k white and blue (which is split up into 50% 460nm, 50% 445nm) on the left (softies) , and on the right (hard corals) i have an fixture that is 27x3w (18x 6500k white and 9x 460nm blue) and a 9x10w fixture (4x 10000k white and 5x 445nm blue) . so about 320 watts total. i haven't built the dimmer and controller yet, so for now its all in - full blue from 12-12, and white from 2pm-10pm. i acclimate new corals in my frag tank for a month, and it runs a similar LED setup (but with dimming and a controller), so i haven't had any real issues with bleaching or anything like that. however i think the zoa's would do better with less light (a theory i will be testing later on). unless i decide to move the zoa garden to its own tank, which is a good possibility :). i added 4x3w 660nm red LED's to the left fixture awhile back, and i dont recommend it. it does look more natural, but it also grows more algae and emphasizes the brown colors (which, i guess IS natural) - however on the plus side it is a lot easier to photograph. in my planted tank the 660nm reds are awesome, but not so much in the reef tank. i also added 6x3w 395nm UV leds about 6 months ago, and i really cant see any difference in growth or algae or color or anything.