Coming home is always scary...

Coming home from being out of town always make me nervous and unfortunately this time I had some casualties. Not sure why but all of my Seriatopora (Bird’s Nest) colonies RTN'd while I was gone over the weekend. All of the other corals (soft and SPS) are doing fine, but for some reason the Seriatopora's just kicked the bucket. I checked all of the parameters and all is well so I'm thinking it may be heat related. The tank usually stays around 79F - 80F and when I came home it was 82F so maybe that's it? [smilie=itwasntme.gif]

The funny thing is my other Bird's Nest (ORA Bird of Paradise - Seriatopora) is fine with no issues, but you guys know how it goes when something happens it always happens to the two corals you like the most. [smilie=rofl.gif]

RIP - Pink Bird's Nest and Ponape Bird's Nest:

Sorry to hear that Bill! At least it was only 2 colonies, could have been worse. Did you have the AC set higher because you were out of town?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you have the neighbor feed the fish that is always another unknown variable you have to add to the equation, so it could of been something else because I've always been fine running my tank at 81F to 82F in the summer. The AC was set to 78F so I don't think it got too hot, but you never know. I plan on pulling the logs tonight so we'll see how hot it actually got. :)

Do you put Kalk in you top off I noticed this past week as weather the evaporation in my tank went up not sure if it had to do with air becoming drier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tales like this scare me, but I'm glade I have Apex to help keep me informed. Just cant calculate if power goes out of if AC quits.

@Burbarry wrote:
Tales like this scare me said:
The Apex informs you of a power out situation and duration if you have backup power supplied to it(9volt battery or ups) which then allows you to track the temp via logging. You can also go further and purchase a temp monitor connected to a breakout box which then allows you to monitor ambient room temperature. http://tinyurl.com/TempMon

Cheers,

Now that's pretty awesome, Ron. I didn't know about that one. Now I want a temp sensor and breakout box... I never thought I'd need one of the breakout boxes.

Hey Bill,

I'm sure I got my ponape from you, I can bring a frag up from Austin next week, if you still haven't found one by then. Of course mine will be free, along with a bonus frag(really nice) or two thrown in. [smilie=rofl.gif]

Cheers,

That stinks Bill. I wouldn't think 82 would cause that RTN, but maybe when they are use to perfect conditions all the time they become sensitive :)

Curious do you run carbon in your sump? I was just wondering with all of your beautiful show size softies if you might have had a chemical war go on or possible spawning event?

@bimmerzs wrote:
[I]@Burbarry wrote:[/I][quote="Tales like this scare me said:
The Apex informs you of a power out situation and duration if you have backup power supplied to it(9volt battery or ups) which then allows you to track the temp via logging. You can also go further and purchase a temp monitor connected to a breakout box which then allows you to monitor ambient room temperature. http://tinyurl.com/TempMon

Cheers,"]

besides ups for apex you will need backup power for the network adapter and your router or you will not get an alarm email