Clownfish Question

Yesterday, for the first time, I went to Dallas North. It was so coool! Great selection of livestock and corals. Had tons of supplies to, not to mention the huge Leather in their show room! But I picked up a pair of Ocellaris clowns. Doing great, eating too. They were tank rasied as well. My gramma is a little shy but is liking their presencse. Love their personality but have one question, they were not doing this at the store but did it this morning. They are rubbing the side of their face in the sand. I think they might bE picking at the sand for food but wanted to ask you. What are the doing? My gramma also is copying them. He never did it before they started. No spots so I dont think its ick. They dont always rub, but they will pick at the sand too

Just curious on this as well. Had a fish do this a few years back. Still doing fine but has not done it since I first got him.

Sent from behind you!

It can be a variety of things, actually. They could have picked up some parasite that they are trying to rub off, they could just be scratching an itch, they could just be playing with the sand. Or something else entirely.

Keep an eye on them for a few days and see if there are any other symptoms of anything (visible ich, flukes, red marks, stringy poop, etc) that could help identify any problems. If you don't find anything, it very well could just be clownfish acting like clownfish.