Clownfish - possible brookynella....

Oscarmk

Premium Member
Today my wife noticed a white cotton fuzz in my clownfish, after close inspection I noticed he has what appears to be an area of about 1 cm of a white like fungus near his top fin, but on his body. It is a bit hard to see it, but with indirect lighting as he moves I was able to take a close look at it. It really looks like white cotton, I inspected him completely and I couldn't find other signs of disease, as of now he seems perfectly healthy. I tried taking a couple of pictures but was unsuccessful getting one where you can actually see the white cotton. I have looked at several pictures of brookynella, marine velvet and lymphocystis which are the ones that could possible resemble, in my opinion it looks closer to brookynella than any of the others, but it could also be lymphocystis.

The white cotton is raised, but not as individual dots more like a patch of white cotton. I've had my clownfish for 3 years and he has never shown signs of disease, he is in my 75 with 7 other small fish, none of them show any signs of disease yet at least. The latest addition fish wise was my Flame angel and Tomini Tang, which were QT for 6 weeks, and they were added to the display tank about 4 months ago. The Flame angel did have a similar white cotton at some point that very slowly faded, that one I am fairly certain was lymphocystis, so it is possible the clownfish now has it, however on the clownfish it looks more like a patch, and afaik lymph is more like white cotton dots.

Anyway since the last 4 fish addition 4 months ago, I have only added 2 coral frags from DNA, and just yesterday 5 coral frags from Elos Aquastudios, DNA frags were added 2 weeks ago. None of the water went inside the display, I just Coral rx dipped all of them, and then swizzled around in 2 different containers before putting into the tank. I know Coral rx does not kill any of these diseases, but at least water wise it wasn't transferred, the most likely scenario is that the coral from DNA had eggs on it. it could also be from Elos but it seems a little odd that it would show up so fast the next day. I bought a frag from each of their tanks in their coral section (at DNA), I know these 2 tanks share water, but I believe that water is separate from the rest of their tanks, I know one of their tanks has a wrasse on it, now here is the thing, when I purchased that frag I noticed they had about 3 clownfish on that frag tank too, I though that was odd (and completely unnecessary, I understand the wrasse part because of parasites, but clowns?) and it made me very reluctant to buy it, but unfortunately I gave in and bought it. I believe the clownfish in that frag tank probably had the disease and that's how it ended up in my tank 2 weeks later.

At this point, in my tank I have a flame angel, tomini tang, carpenter's flasher wrasse, pink streaked wrasse, yellow clown goby, purple fire fish and royal gramma, if it is brook I think everyone will get it except the royal gramma, clown goby and purple fire fish... I sold my 29 biocube that I was using as my QT tank about a month ago unfortunately, and I can't even transfer my clown (and all the other fish). I know this is one of the worst diseases, but how fast does it progress?, I've read the fish die within 24 hours, is it really that fast?. I really hope it is not brookynella...

At this point I know I am pretty much screwed, 5 fish will get brookynella (if that is what it is), and they will die in less than a week... planning to stop by petco today to buy a 40 gallon or something big to hold all my fish and try to treat them with formalin, but I've read this disease is almost impossible to treat.. oh well I'll give it a try.

Moral of the story, QT coral frags. If all my fish die, I probably won't feel like continuing at least for a while (I have been i the hobby 3 years and I have never lost any fish), if it is not brook, then I am getting a frag tank. Any other signs of brook that I can look for that distinguish it from other diseases would be helpful.

Worst thing is that I had been doing FOWLR for 3 years until now, and 2 weeks ago I bought my first coral frags, I got bitten on my first purchase :(. I always QT fish, but for some reason I though it was overkill on corals, since usually they are not kept with fish, I should not have bought them when I saw those clownfish in that frag tank or I should have QT those frags.

It is possibly what you said: Lymphocystis. That stuff can drop off the fish after a few days. I recently got a Copperband Butterfly with similar stuff on his fin and a spot or two on his body. I focused on heavy feedings and observation only, and yesterday he seems nearly 100% clean of the stuff. I've had him since the club meeting at DNA, which was about two weeks ago.

It's usual for fish to get sick from corals, but nothing is 100%. I always dip new corals to avoid adding parasites, as well. A QT or a frag tank to hold new arrivals is best, to be sure.

@Marc wrote:
It is possibly what you said: Lymphocystis. That stuff can drop off the fish after a few days. I recently got a Copperband Butterfly with similar stuff on his fin and a spot or two on his body. I focused on heavy feedings and observation only said:
Thanks Marc, I hope mine also recovers. I just fed them and they all ate like pigs. The clown continues to look and act normal, no slime in the body and no rapid respiration so far. I called both DNA and ELOS to ask them if they had noticed signs of disease on their frag tank fishes, both said no.

I belive you meant to say "unusual" and not "usual" :), I agree it is unlikely but definitely possible, if it is brook then I am a 100% confident it came with one of those coral frags. I managed to take a picture where you can kinda see the white lesions, in the picture it looks more like big nodules, but in person it looks more like a cotton patch.

1U3zFOJ
alt="">

All fish, including the clown fish continue to act normal and are eating. It seems the affected area of the clown is now less cottony and less white and more like a scar, seems harder to see than before, it might be a little smaller but it is hard to tell. He does not have any of other symptom other than the lesions at this point, he isnt't breathing fast, has no heavy slim coat, and is not losing color in the head area, he is also as active as ever, and quickly comes to the front to expect to be fed again as soon as I approach, which makes seeing his lessions easier :).

Not sure what he has at this point, but right now it seems like it is no brook, based on what I have read after 24 hours he should be showing heavy breathing, and some fish die before 24 hours with brook.

Glad to hear it is doing okay so far. Here's my CBB today, seems completely clean too.

[attachment=0]cbb_spotfree.jpg[/attachment]

@Marc wrote:
Glad to hear it is doing okay so far. Here's my CBB today said:
The CCB looks great!, if I ever upgrade to a 6 foot 125, I'll get one for sure. My clownfish continues to act normal, the lessions look more grayish now and less white, they are not growing in size. All the other fish seem happy and eating too. Hopefuly it continues that way.

I hope so. Focus on really good foods for now, as nutrition is always a good choice for a fish.

@Marc wrote:
I hope so. Focus on really good foods for now said:
I've been feeding them rods, ocean nutrition pellets and spirulina flakes with SELCO Boost and Garlic Xtreme, they are all doing great. 2 days ago all the clown lesions had practically disappeared, but yesterday one of them flared up again in the same spot although smaller than before, it looked similar to the first time I saw them, cottony, today it looks again more grey, all the other lesions are now completely gone. He doesn't show any other symptoms, and neither do the other fish. Based on the come and go nature, and all the articles i've read about brookynella, I am fairly confident at least it is not brook, seems more like lymphocystis because it comes and goes. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, if it was brook he would have symptoms by now, and because brook reproduces in the fish itself, it never gets better like ick appears to do, when they fall off to reproduce, this one is actually getting much better. With that in mind I also think the chance of getting brook from anything other than fish is lower than the other diseases, because they don't fall off to reproduce in the rocks or somewhere else, they simply reproduce in the fish and VERY fast.

Happy to report that he now looks completelly clean as of yesterday, he never showed any signs of disease, so not exactly sure what he had, probably lymphocystis or he scratched himself with something somehow.