Clown experts - Adding clown

[Have a rhitteri anenome with one true percula in it. Found another true perc (color is brighter but looks to be a true perc) and added him at night right into the anenome. both clowns stayed in there all night.

Today though my original clown is trying to "hold his ground" by not letting the new clown get near the anenome.. not really attaacking each other though... more of a staring contest and they will both actually chase each other around.

Should I remove new clown now or give it a couple of days??.. would really like them both to "hook up" and share the anenome and hopefully one turns into the female.

true percs are pretty hard to find, major drawback is they are about the same size... wish i could have introduced a smaller one

advice would be helpful here]

[ck1,
I would give it a few days under your watchful eye. Unfortunately if you want them to pair up one (the female) has to establish dominance over the other. You might find them chasing each other quite a bit during this time but as long as they are both eating and there is no visable signs of real fighing (frayed or torn fins etc.) you should be fine. If the smaller one is not getting any food or is getting too stressed out during the ordeal you should seperate them. A good approach I have seen used in this manner is one of those breeding traps where they can still see each other but not fight.]

[Hopefully, you don't have two females already. :) How big was the one you got? The way I get it is: Clowns are unsexed. Out of a group, one will become female, one will become male, and the rest stay juveniles. If the female dies, the male or another juvenile will become the female. Clowns can move back and forth between male and juvenile, but once they're a female, that's it. No changing anymore.

So, hopefully you didn't pick up a female.]

[yeah, i was just reading about the same thing, so far still no agressive type behavior but not submissive either. I will keep a close eye and if this does not work, going to have to go with a juvee

the one i got is smaller than my old one, but not by much]

[Good luck. I have had two of them for 18 months, they both were small when I got them. They are both are still the same size. They are best of friends, but neither one of them has ever appeared to have changed to female. I guess friends are all they will ever be. :so sad:]

[Is there an appearance change? Not sure. I've always heard just to pick two out of a group from the LFS when they're small. You are sure to get the right mix then. That is assuming you want a breeding pair. The "friend" mix sounds better to me.]

[Just watch them. They are probably going to fight for a while. When you see one quivering/shaking it's body he/she (?) is admiting domance to the other fish. If you see this you should be cool.

Seems most clowns are cool unless you put a differnet type in there. I have a pair of False perks. I put another type of clown in, at first they got along, in a few hours the fight was on. 2 against 1 didn't work well for the new guy. Had to put him in the fuge.]

[did some more research and said if both ever lock mouths then not a good sign. only seen the pair do this once so far.

unfortunately, they both quiver to each other!! the original is still trying to protect her anenome while the new one is closer to the anenome but not sharing yet.

still not sure about this matchup... leaning towards this not working.

more advice would be great.]

[Give it some more time! My percs duked it out for at least two weeks before one gave in. If they are tearing each other up then consider moving one. Nipping and bickering is fine.]

[Of course she/he is going to protect their home. Let it keep going. Chill.. As said before if the fins start getting really eaten time to pull one.]

[I give up... tried to be patient but the new clown is in my sump right now. some of "his" fins are looking a little torn. tried to be patient!!
went to randy's fish warehouse and got a juve tank raised true perc and will try that first...if this does not work... I am just going to sell the individual female and start over with a pair of juvees... thanks and will keep all posted.]

[Why don't you just try this method instead? :wwww:

0029.jpg
alt="">]

[The Photographer is Greg Rothschild, from the Photography forum on ReefCentral. He took the picture in a public aquarium in S. California, and the moment I saw it I asked him to email me a larger version to put on my desktop.

I adore clownfish and would LOVE to have a tank like that!]