cloudy water

bwig333

Premium Member
Hey everyone, just added a reactor with biopellets to my sump. Did this tuesday night, due to fighting with nitrates. Friday evening I come home to a very cloudy tank. I went through and cleaned my mechanical filters(sponge filter/activated carbon), but it made minimal changes in cloudiness. I also noticed a marked increase in skimmer output. Is this normal for biopellets, or if not, where do I begin to decrease cloudiness? thanks in advance. Parameters were checked Tuesday night as well, they were all within normal ranges(calcium, alk, ph, salinity, nitrites, ammonia, phosphates) except for nitrates which were 20ppm.
This has been consistent for last few weeks. I did have an issue 2-3 weeks ago with my AC going out. water temp got up to high 80's even with ice(lost one fish and a few coral frags, but everything else seemed fine). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brian

I don't run pellets but I think that is pretty normal. You increased the food in the water and caused an algae/bacterial bloom. The point of pellets is to increase the biological life in the water column so you can skim it out hopefully removing more bad nutrients

You need to add bacteria like zeobak or dr Tim's also need good flow through the reactor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the replies, My skimmer has increased output dramatically. If I had to empty it every 3-4 days, right now I have to empty it every 3-4 hrs. I have a pretty decent tumble going on through the reactor, I actually turned it down a little because it was more like a boiling roll. I have not added bacteria though. Should I add it to the fuge/sump or directly into the reactor. Thanks for advice in advance