Cleaner shrimp reproducing in reef?

[Anyone ever heard of cleaner shrimps mating in a reef tank?
i took a good look at one of mine tonight by flashlight after lights went out, and its midsection seems to be teeming with eggs all in it!
Any thoughs would be appreciated.

Kevin]

[Was amazing last night i watched as my tank filled with baby cleaner shrimps, i found the one spawning, and watched in awe as it pulled the little ones from its abdomen. Everywhere i looked i had hundreds of baby shrimps. The second one i have in tank has eggs too.

Thought i would share what i thought was a pretty rewarding experience.]

[How come the baby shrimp survive in the ocean but become easy fish food in our tanks? Is it b/c our tanks are more densly populated then normel conditions the shrimp live in?]

[That would be part of it from what i read. Also partly because they need special food to survive as well as safety from predators.]

@Jstchill26 wrote:
[How come the baby shrimp survive in the ocean but become easy fish food in our tanks? Is it b/c our tanks are more densly populated then normel conditions the shrimp live in?] said:
[Lack of food source. They need really small food that does not exsist in our tank (or is consumed faster than our mini reefs can produce it)]

[
How come the baby shrimp survive in the ocean but become easy fish food in our tanks? Is it b/c our tanks are more densly populated then normel conditions the shrimp live in? said:
A lot of them are sucked up in powerheads or skimmed]

[So we should just flush them down the drain?
As we all learned from a certain movie "All drains lead to the ocean." :lol:]

[I would also say that in addition to all of the above (which is all correct) I read somewhere (Of course I can't find it now) that in the ocean it is estimated that only 1 in 20 million eggs survives! Now I have no idea how many they release each time but that is an extraordinarily low chance on a reef much less in a tank with lots of sheering forces, lots of predetors, and wrong food!

On a seperate note I think we're pretty close to seeing these become readily availble capive raised. Here is an article about it (well actually fire shrimp but same family) that is interesting.
Breeding Shrimp]

Edited By kwl1763 on 1107903368