Circulation pump for 110 gal? - Best for flow, heat transfer and noise?

[I configuring my circulation pump and closed loop for the 110. I recently bought an Iwaki MD 55 and Blueline 1100 from a member and thought I had it all figured out ??? I originally had the Iwaki planned for the circulation and the Blueline for my CL with a Squirt. I'm starting to think the Iwaki would just be overkill for a 110 at 1040 gph at 4'. The drains can handle it, but I'm thinking of getting another Blueline and selling the Iwaki.

My question is: Should I get another blueline or go with another brand of pump. I don't need a pressure rated pump, but it has to be external. I'm looking for around 700 gph at approx 6' head. My biggest concerns are noise and heat. I know one tends to offset the other it seems. Quiet pumps tend to transfer more heat and vice-versa.

Any suggestion or comments will be greatly appreciated on this. Thanks everyone!]

[To avoid microbubbles, even running 5x the display tank's volume through your sump, you'd need a mere 550gph of flow. Running it at twice the flow, you may run into microbubble issues. If your sump is longer, and constructed accordingly to stop those bubbles in their tracks, you might not have a problem. Since I'm not familiar with the Blueline 1100, I'm wondering if you can swap the pumps to slow down the flow through the sump and use the other for the closed loop perhaps?

I never had noise issues with my Mag pumps. I put a small piece of foam padding (Designed for Eheim filtration) as a cushion under the submerged pump and it ran silently. You could use a mousepad if the pump is external.]

[I've had a blueline 1100 running on one of my systems for about a year now and I really like the pump for pressure rating (since I'm pushing it through a UV and SQWD), noise, heat, and flow. If you want more info on the blueline 1100, you might want to check out the specs on it at championlighting (www.championlighting.com). I think it's a nice pump for the money and performance so far
HTH]

[If it were me I would keep the Iwaki for the closed loop but scale back on the return pump. You will want something in the 300 - 500 GPH range so probably getting one rated about 500 - 700 or so will let you get over the head pressure, feed a refugium and have that much running through your system. With 500 GPH and the Iwaki you should have plenty of flow in the tank.]

[The return is going to be split between two 3/4" returns. I've contemplated on using a SCWD as well to add even more alternating current along with the Squirt on the closed loop. I've got a Dolphin DP900 on my CL right now with the Squirt and have to dial it back a bit or it will make a huge mess in the tank. The Squirt doesn't create the headloss a SCWD does. I think with a Blueline 1100 on the return with a SCWD, it will give me around 400-500 gph max.

Any more thoughts? The Iwaki is a power sucker and I could sure use the extra for additional lights, etc..... :D]

@Marc wrote:
[I never had noise issues with my Mag pumps. I put a small piece of foam padding (Designed for Eheim filtration) as a cushion under the submerged pump and it ran silently. You could use a mousepad if the pump is external.] said:
[Depends on the size of the mag pump. I have a 9.5, 12, 24, and 36. 9.5 is silent, 12 small hum, 24 and 36... sound like a locamotive!]