Chiton??NEED ADVICE (Pic.s added)

Aldente P.

Premium Member
There is a leach looking worm about 1 1/2 long its under a mushroom looks like its releasing smoke,slime that is going straight up..Can anyone tell me what this is and do i need to remove it??

@Aldente P. wrote:
There is a leach looking worm about 1 1/2 long its under a mushroom looks like its releasing smoke said:
If you don't have pics, could you at least give a better description than "leach looking worm". :D

Click the Post Reply button.
Below the text box where you type you message is a section that is title "Attachment Postinjg Control Panel"
Click the Add an Attachment button
Follow the direction
Hit [Submit]
Done

Aldente,

Check out the following link. There are hundreds of species of these things, but if I'm looking at the correct part of your picture, the 8-segmented "animal" looks like a chiton to me.

http://www.woodbridge.tased.edu.au/mdc/Species%20Register/chitons.htm

I've seen them often diving and in the intertidal zone (close to the shore), but have never had one show up in my reef tank.

Most inverts spawning in your tank are not a real issue unless the water gets completely fouled up...I would just keep an eye on it.

Just my thoughts...

Matt

Thanks Matt
Thats exactly what it was. By everything i read i dont think i would have been able to get him of the rock unless i was willing to crush his shell. So it was spawning. I hope there waasnt any others in there to complete the process. Thanks for the link Matt

@Aldente P. wrote:
Thanks Matt Thats exactly what it was. By everything i read i dont think i would have been able to get him of the rock unless i was willing to crush his shell. So it was spawning. I hope there waasnt any others in there to complete the process. Thanks for the link Matt said:
Sure you do... Chitons are VERY cool critters. They are great for your system and will help keep your rocks very well maintained.

So will he get hungry one day and start eating on my soft corals? I've had this tank for about 2 months and hav'nt ever seen him before. Really did'nt know i had any holes in my LR that big. Well as far as i know he has'nt caused any harm yet.

@Aldente P. wrote:
So will he get hungry one day and start eating on my soft corals? I've had this tank for about 2 months and hav'nt ever seen him before. Really did'nt know i had any holes in my LR that big. Well as far as i know he has'nt caused any harm yet. said:
No, he is an algae eater. Very reef safe, but if a coral or rock is not seated well, he could tip something over as he goes about his business just like a snail could.