Chiller question

is it normal for the water temp to increase before decreasing?

I've got a temp guage to monitor the temp of the water. The chiller says the water is 83 but the temp guage shows 84.4 and rising..

The chiller is a tetco tr20. Manufacturer says its rated for up to a 500g tank. I oversized just in case I decided to upgrade in the near future. it's running without the UV on to eliminate some of the heat and chill faster..

the pump is a quietone 3000 running submersed..

I'm at a loss. Cant figure out why the temp is steady rising...

It's kind of hard to say. Was it running for a short or long time before the temp started to rise. The Quiet One 3000 is right at the upper end of the acceptable flow for this chiller. You may try to slow the flow a little bit. Maybe the water is not cooling enough going through the chiller that quickly. Also ensure that the hot air that is expelled from the back of the chiller is not blowing on the tank, sump, or any of the plumbing. The chiller exhaust is quite warm if it's working properly.

@ToddLaCo wrote:
It's kind of hard to say. Was it running for a short or long time before the temp started to rise. The Quiet One 3000 is right at the upper end of the acceptable flow for this chiller. You may try to slow the flow a little bit. Maybe the water is not cooling enough going through the chiller that quickly. Also ensure that the hot air that is expelled from the back of the chiller is not blowing on the tank said:
I'll have to buy a smaller pump next week.. This pump is the absolute smallest I have. I'll buy a ball valve tomorrow and throttle it back.
I hear the fan keep popping on and off. One minute I'll walk in and its blowing hot air out the back - the next, it's blowing cooler air.. Dont know what that means.. The temp is holding at 83.8 - thats after floating a couple bags of ice - my temp was at 85 and I didn't want it to go higher... Hopefully it's not a bad chiller - I got a heck-of-a-deal on it and would hate to have to return it...

Is it normal for the fan to cycle on and off?

@djr2001 wrote:
[I]@ToddLaCo wrote:[/I][quote="It's kind of hard to say. Was it running for a short or long time before the temp started to rise. The Quiet One 3000 is right at the upper end of the acceptable flow for this chiller. You may try to slow the flow a little bit. Maybe the water is not cooling enough going through the chiller that quickly. Also ensure that the hot air that is expelled from the back of the chiller is not blowing on the tank said:
I'll have to buy a smaller pump next week.. This pump is the absolute smallest I have. I'll buy a ball valve tomorrow and throttle it back.
I hear the fan keep popping on and off. One minute I'll walk in and its blowing hot air out the back - the next, it's blowing cooler air.. Dont know what that means.. The temp is holding at 83.8 - thats after floating a couple bags of ice - my temp was at 85 and I didn't want it to go higher... Hopefully it's not a bad chiller - I got a heck-of-a-deal on it and would hate to have to return it...

Is it normal for the fan to cycle on and off?"]

Hi,

Also make absolutely sure that you don't have a heater that's coming on, I would unplug any that you have just to make sure since the thermostat's on them may not be accurate. The fan on my chiller cycles on/off each time the chiller kicks on to cool(if that makes any sense).

Cheers!

Check the output before you go out and buy another pump. It's quite easy to do.

Just put the output in a five gallon bucket and see how long it takes to fill the bucket. I don't have my math hat on to figure it out, but I think 45-50 seconds to fill a five gallon bucket will give you about 400 gallons an hour. I personally would probably shoot for around 400 GPH. Just check your GPH first, because depending on your head pressure, you might already be good.

Heres my history: Show you have some kind of referance

I have a tr20 that I bought "Brand new" on my 80gallon being driven by a mag7. I have my temp set 79, and the chiller should come on @ 81 and go back off @ 79. which it does pretty closely - see my graph. This display ALWAYS says 80, because right @ the time it should show 81 it starts cooling (so never shows 81) and right @ the time it should read 79 it stops cooling and the temp starts to raise again (so it never shows 79 either). You may already know this but there is a couple of things you can check. They are:
1) You can set the "temp offset" to match a external temp gauge.
2) If you hold the set button for about 10 second it will start beeeping and display a number. This number is the range @ which the chiller operates. Example: If the number says "2" and you have the chiller set for 79, it will start @ 81 and stop @ 79. If it say "3" it will start @ 82 and stop @ 79. I think "2" is the lowest you can go.
3) The flow rate recommended for this chiller is between 135 and 790.

The manual can be downloaded here: http://www.tecous.com/faq.htm

Hope this is helpfull

I'm begenning to think its a faulty chiller. I took the cover off and hooked the h20 connections back up to it... only one fan is blowing now - and it's cool air that its blowing.. Guess I'll be contacting the manufacturer on monday. unless someone can point out something i'm missing