Check valves?

[I am in the process of replumbing to add a fuge to my setup (30G tank, ~15G fuge, 10G sump). Was considering adding checkvalves to my lines to minimize the amount of siphoning back into the sump. I am running a Mag 9.5 which is split 3 ways: 3/4" return to tank, 1/2" return to fuge, 3/4" return to sump (to allow for less back pressure on the pump).

Are the check valves available at Home Depot OK for use for this? They say they are rated at 200PSI. Or would it be better to go with something similar to the ones that Marine Depot carry which are rated @125PSI? Will the added back pressure cause problems with the pump?]

Edited By grim-bob on 1078890151

[Josh, you can even use 1/2" PVC to return water to the sump. It is merely an excess line so it won't need a lot of volume.

Most people that have used check valves have found that when they needed them most, they failed. I don't use any on any of my systems.

If you configure your tank correctly, you should be able to limit the total amount of water draining down after the pump is off. The use of 'anti-siphon holes' is mandatory to reduce water being drained down.]

[I know Lowe's carries a couple different brands. The nice small ones that you'll want you can't have because they have metals in them (springs). They have others that are giant (girth) that would work though. The ones at Marine Depot are much nicer, but about 3 times as much.]

[Marc - I realized after I had glued the sump return back in that it was a little overkill and I could have probably gone with smaller but oh well. And yes I snagged the idea right off your setup. Thanks for that one. I have the anti-siphon holes in already. My sump will hold all of the over/backflow as it is currently setup, but I am in the habit of over-engineering things and was considering adding the checkvalves in for good measure. Any idea what kind of head they will add to the flow?

Trackz - The spring issue was one I thought of after I posted. Not sure if I am willing to wait getting online so I may just nix the idea.

Thanks for y'alls input.]

[There is no need to over engineer this setup. If you do and your end up relying on that engineering, you'll end up with regrets.

Keep it simple, and be sure to mark your sump with a high water mark to avoid a flood.]

[Just a note of success (so far, fingers crossed). Mag9.5 is plumbed in, Fuge is plumbed in (can't wait to flip the switch... er valve). And the bonus.... My stockman is quiet (Thank God. Wife was ready to hang me). Thanks Marc for the sanity check. After I pondered for a bit I said screw the check valves and went on with it and everything is working perfectly.]