Carl's 195 Tank build

hitillidie

Membership Expired
Well, some may have known that I moved out my old house and sold my old 120. Now I'm temporally living in an apartment while my home is being built. I was gonna put the new tank is the wall BUT (one word) WIFE! :? So I had to build a stand and canopy for my new tank. The new tank is gonna be 60 X 25 X 30. It's the tank I've always wanted. We are still two months out from moving into the new house but i wanted to have the stand and canopy to be done before the fall school year. I didn't detail every step cause people have built stands before, I just wanted to show you the outcome and see what ya think.

First picture is my little man helping me paint the frame,
frame2.jpg
alt="">

frame.jpg
alt="">

This is a picture of the complete stand and canopy. I built the doors myself because they wanted too much to buy them. Ithink they turned out alright.

So what ya think?

standncanopy.jpg
alt="">

It's been a while but the tank is up and running, without lights that is. I'll update you on what has happen so far.

I was originally going to put the tank in the study room, but when I put the stand in there I realize that is was going to eat up that room. So, after a little butt kissing :mrgreen: I was ALLOWED wo put it in the formal living room.
tanknstandprofile.jpg
alt="">

The stand originally did not have a door on the left side, it was on the right. So I had to add one to be able to get my sump in and out.
DSC00275.jpg
alt="">
DSC00276.jpg
alt="">
DSC00277.jpg
alt="">

DSC00283.jpg
alt="">
Once in it's finally resting place I proceeded get all the peace to this puzzle. I finally open the skimmer box to see what the vortex royal alpha looks like and I must say it is a beauty. I also had Marc build me a sump. Man he does excellent work!! thanks Marc.
DSC00270.jpg
alt="">
DSC00271.jpg
alt="">

Once things were plumbed, it was time for a fresh water run. :roll:
freshwatertest.jpg
alt="">
I'm happy to say it past the the test, not one leak. :D
Now it's been about 5 days and I finally got all the water and rock in and it has cleared up a bit. and I proud to say

"Houston we have water"
tankwikthrock.jpg
alt="">

The rock are extremly white because they have been sitting in a barrel with a pump since about May. Couple months of light and the calcium reator with fix that. I'm in the process of putting the lights in the canopy. I will update once complete.

Looks great Carl.... glad to see you back in action! Let me know when your ready for corals and I'll make a tank warming coral donation :)

Carl you have a great looking stand/canopy and good to hear that there were no leaks. Marc built my sump and he does do a great job. Overall you have done a really good job of putting you system together and I know that you can hardly wait to start stocking the tank.

Keep the updates of your progress coming.

The tank is 60.5 L X 30.5 D X 25 H

I have:
60gal sump/Fug
Alpha Royal 200 Skimmer
Pair tunze on multi controller
Vortech 40mp
Quiet one 6000 return
JBL 1/4 hp chiller
3- 250 watt halide, 12k reeflux bulds
220 watt vho
all controlled by an Aqua Jr controller
Ultra ozone 360 w/American Marine Pinpoint controller
200-250lbs of Live Rock
180lbs of Live sand

This is the tank I've always wanted so I'll be patient and get it right the first time. I waited three months before I put a fish in my last system and it worked out well for me. I'll probably do the same with this one. I have put the canopy on, check it out!

fullshot.jpg
alt="">

tankonly.jpg
alt="">

The Calcium Reactor is up and running. Just time now

This tank is looking great. You did a really nice job on the stand and canopy. Iwill definately be following along to how it all turns out.

The tank is going through an algae bloom right now. I'm very much surprise given that it's been up two week and it's already going through a algae bloom. I need to do a parameter check.

So, alright reefer it's about six weeks now and everything checks out so I begun to add corals. I'm going to hold off about 6 more weeks to add fish. My parameter are;
Alk 12
Cal. 380
PO3 0
Nitrate 0
Mg 1280

I working to get the Calcium and Mg. up the the two part. I'm also adding a Phosphate reactor tommorrow. I have some hair algae left over from the cycle that I like to get rid of. Other than that everything is going good. Check my selection and tell me what ya think.

Sym.jpg
alt="">

Superman.jpg
alt="">

acan1.jpg
alt="">

acan2.jpg
alt="">

FTS82010.jpg
alt="">

Looks great, congrats on your new additions.

Can we see the whole room it is set up in? It looks like a beautiful showpiece with that stand and canopy.

@psteeleb wrote:
looking good Carl - absolutly awesome woodwork said:
Thanks Pete

@Marc wrote:
Looks great said:
Since we moved into the new house the room in which the tank is sitting is empty. We will get around to dressing it up later. But you can see slightly from the picture below.

Update:

I needed to add a reservoir to help keep the water stable. So I built a storage box which would contain the reservoir. It sits beside the tank as you can see in the picture below. I used a DIY float switch and Aqua lifter to pump the water into my sump. Hooked it up yesterday and is working great so far.

What do you guys think?
Reservoir

WATERCONTAINER-1.jpg
alt="">
Container Box:
WATEREVAPORATION-1.jpg
alt="">

You can see the reservoir box as it sits beside the Tank and Marc you can see part of the room that it sits in.

TANKROOMSHOT-1.jpg
alt="">

@DaveJ wrote:
Love the stealth box :) How many gallons does your container hold and where did ya get it? said:
Hey Dave, How is it going? The container holds 15 gallons and actually I got it from the same place you got your large containers.

@hitillidie wrote:
[I]@DaveJ wrote:[/I][quote="Love the stealth box :) How many gallons does your container hold and where did ya get it? said:
Hey Dave, How is it going? The container holds 15 gallons and actually I got it from the same place you got your large containers."]

Good thanks! Great.. I've been looking for something like that. The 5G jugs don't cut it and the buckets/open tank just collect too much dust. I'll have to swing by and pick one of those up.

Call ahead and make sure they have them in stock or you will have to order one. This was the last one they had in stock when I purchased it. I guess you would probably know, it isn't cheap.

@saveourreefs wrote:
Looking good Carl said:
Thanks, I like it to! :mrgreen:

Been fighting hair algae for about two two weeks now and it had gotten bad. Here is a picture just to give you an idea.
hairalgae.jpg
alt="">

So, Friday I pulled all the rock out and scrubbed it well.
fts11610.jpg
alt="">

While scrubbing the rock I decided to rearrange the rock also. What do you think?

leftside-1.jpg
alt="">
rightside.jpg
alt="">

I also bought my first fish. He's a beauty but also a worker.

majestic.jpg
alt="">