Caravan's 75g Rimless

CaravanShaka

Membership Expired
I originally had about a 200g in-wall tank planned for the new house. As you know, plans change. My wife mentioned that she would like to go back to school for her PhD, which would mean we lose her income for a few years. That meant no $7-$10k to spend on the in-wall plus the additional cost for it's maintenance and coral stocking. Instead, I decided a good size would be 75 or 90 gallons and started looking for tanks.

I found a Planet Aquarium built 75 gallon rimless with starphire front panel with stand for a reasonable price from a forum member and jumped on it. It was gently used for a couple weeks, and only had a few scratches on it on one of the side panes, and maybe 1 or 2 barely noticeable scratches on the front pane. Other than that, it was a great deal at under $600 with the stand and light hanger.

Once I got the tank home and into my new house, I completely sanded the stand and re-stained it a much darker color. The inside got a few coats of Kilz primer, and I knocked out one of the support braces and moved it to the back since my sump was 1/8" too big for where it originally was. [smilie=whew.gif] The tank got cleaned up and I setup the top side of the plumbing with the drain and return while I was waiting for the stand to be dry and ready to bring in the house.

Once in the house, I got the aquascaping done and started filling it will saltwater. My biggest container for mixing was only 20 gallons, so it took me a couple days to fill. While I was waiting for salt to mix, I got everything plumbed up and ready to go. I won't go into too many details here, I'll pretty much just list the specifics and let the pics do the talking:

Equipment:
Planet Aquarium 75gl rimless, 48x18x21, back left overflow and starphire front pane
Apex Lite controller with Ph Probe
Custom 4 bulb T5 plus 34 LED fixture (Cree & Luxeon mix)
Custom 13 LED frag light fixture (Cree & Luxeon mix)
Vortech MP40 for flow in DT (may add an MP10 in the near future)
Koralia Nano for flow in frag section of sump
Trigger Systems Ruby 36s sump
Vertex IN-100 skimmer
BRS Bio-pellet reactor with BRS pellets (ran off return)
BRS Deluxe single reactor, will be used for carbon or GFO depending on current needs (ran off return)
DIY ATO with Aqualifter and a 5 gallon jug
Dual dosing system for Calcium and Alkalinity, BRS thin 1 gallon jugs fit perfectly with the ATO jug next to the sump
redundant hydor theo heaters
Quiet One Pro 4000 return pump

Basic Livestock 3 weeks in:
40 lbs of Tropic Eden Reef-flakes Live sand
~80 lbs of marco dry rock
live rock and corals from my 3g pico
2 black clowns from Lance
CUC from reefs2go

aefd74d9-0ba6-a3a8.jpg
alt="">

aefd74d9-0bbc-0e1b.jpg
alt="">

aefd74d9-0bd0-d666.jpg
alt="">
aefd74d9-0be8-20bd.jpg
alt="">

aefd74d9-0c1b-22d6.jpg
alt="">

That pretty much brings us up to speed for now :) will add pics from my phone, didn't want to type this on there but that is where all the pics are, lol.

Bigger than a PICO! [smilie=rofl.gif]
You sure can get tanks up and looking good pretty quick!
I am have to ask you to come visit me when I buy mine! [smilie=clapping.gif]

Thanks, guys! My secret for getting it running fast is using established rock and/or sand to help with te bio filter. I also used bacteria dosing in this tank to kick start the bio-pellets. I took my nicer zoos off of one of my pico rocks and left a few that were just ok on it, and moved it into the tank on day 5. Monitored the zoos health and tested my parameters a few days later to find everything good and stable. At that time I transferred the rest of the livestock, including some SPS. It has been over a week now and everything is stable and i have great polyp extension on my SPS

I have a big order coming in from Wet Thumbs next week, can't wait to get more color in the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just looked at my Apex, I am pretty happy with my daily swings for PH and temp. They are both pretty consistent:

PH High - 8.22, PH Low 8.16
PH swing of 0.06

Temp High - 78.5, Temp Low 77.4
Temp swing of 01.1

Parameters as of yesterday
SG - 1.026
Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate all undectable per API
Alkalinity - 9 per Red Sea
Calcium - 400 per Red Sea
Magnesium - 1350 per Red Sea

Would like to get a hanna phosphate checker, is that what everyone else is using?

Looking good. [smilie=clapping.gif] I use the hanna phos checker as well as an APEX. I'm sure you will agree that having a controller monitoring your tank, really shows you what your tank parameters are doing, just about at real time.

Cheers,

We will see if my 2yo daughter got her daddy the hanna checker for fathers day, if not, i think that is next on my to buy list, along with an MP10 for better flow. :)

Talked to wet thumb today and they had a website issue and 3 of my corals were sold before i bought them. So they are hooking me up with a bit extra as a sorry. Picking up 5 small colonies and a few frags, can't wait for next week!

@Powers wrote:
Definitely can't wait to see some life in this tank!! said:
There is a bit of life, but not much yet. Have some Zoos spread around the tank, but here is the only rock that looks good:

aefd74d9-38f9-227d.jpg
alt="">

And an FTS

aefd74d9-3917-5a6f.jpg
alt="">

And a shot of my frag section in the sump (wiring is a mess behind, haven't cleaned it up yet):

aefd74d9-3c4f-5f00.jpg
alt="">

Quick update with some parameters:

Sg - 1.026
Amm - 0
Trites - 0
Trates - 0
Phosphates - hanna checker arrives friday
Cal - 400
Alk - 9.8 (reducing my dosing slowly to get this down to 8-9)
Mag - 1280 (is this too low)
pH - 8.06, but not going to chase pH higher with alk at nearly 10.

All in all not too bad for still trying to dial in dosing and how my tank reacts to everything. I lost one if the milli colonies from wet thumb, but I am not convinced it was anything I did. It never looked as healthy as the other corals I got, so it was suspect to begin with.

Now for the fun part! I am getting new lights on friday! Dual 250w 20k radium halides, lumen max 2 pendants, lumatek ballasts, and some LED actinics. Excited to get halides over the tank and see what all the rage is about with this old technology :)

Thanks for the compliments!

Do you really want a frag niteowl? I could probably frag it, what do you want to trade? ;)

So I built an actinic LED bar for kar2oons this week and tested it over my tank. I was so happy with it that i took my fixture down and stripped off the cree blues and changed them to cree royal blue! What a difference it made!

I was always under the impression that blue would be darker than royal blue, but the royal has a great purple/dark blue hue to it that it is closer to true actinic than the plain blues. Good to know ;)