can't decide on color temp

Catjuggler

Premium Member
I was gonna order a new set of metal halides today but i dont know what temp to get. I am running a 90 rr with fish,corals, and clams. I have to get one that is double ended. I cant decide on a 14000k or 15000k. Is there even a difference, please help i cant decide

technically the 15 should be bluer than the 14 but its more about the bulb instead of the color temp. the temp will give you an idea where they are supposed to be but the 12/14/15k ratings are rarely accurate. for example many think a 12k reeflux looks more blue than some higher kelvin bulbs which should logically be more blue.

what bulbs have you looked at and what are you looking for in them? i personally have been wanting to get pheonix 14k's next but there are some aquamaxx bulbs that look nice. what i have been trying to do is look at tanks in stores and friends house to see what they have and get an idea for the color.

i was looking at some cheap bulbs on ebay by odyssea, and the 15000k were 10 bucks cheaper then the 14000k.im pretty sure im gonna go with the pheonix 14ks they look really nice.

Has anyone had any experience with the odyssea bulbs they seem really cheap compared to the other bulbs on ebay. I think im just gonna go with the pheonix 14k unless someone has anything good to say about the odyssea bulbs.

they are garbage, go with brand name. They sometimes look fine but their output drops off FAST and they tend to shift in color quickly. Not to mention they never put out as much PAR and brand name bulbs. You can not go wrong with Pheonix 14k.

You can go with an oddyssea fixture, they are pretty good actually. BUT the bulbs SUCK. I traded them for ATI's and that fixture could keep ANYTHING under it it was great.

14K or if you can find 16k and you wount be disappointed.