Can you ID this creature?

afishfanatic

Membership Expired
I just caught this tomight. It was being throwns around in the water column. Anyone want to take a shot? Man it amazes me to see the things that just seem to appear in your tank. Especially the thought that these things may have been in there for years undetected.

Unfortunately, I hafta agree, looks like a fireworm, one of the rarer BAD bristle worms (As opposed to the good/benign majority of bristle worms)

Do you have any Caribbean rock?

How come? I think I've seen some of these. They roll up are thicker looking? :roll: I'm begining to not like bristleworms at all anymore then flatworms, clear or not.

@Jaguar wrote:
How come? I think I've seen some of these. They roll up are thicker looking? :roll: I'm begining to not like bristleworms at all anymore then flatworms said:
If you check out the page I posted above on fireworms (<-- that's a hyperlink..if you didn't notice :D), you'll see their feeding behavior is something one wouldn't want in a reef tank.

Well, I have confined it to the refugium until I decide what to do with it. I just hope there are no others. Thanks for the link Kevin! :)

@Matt wrote:
I found a known potential predator for your problem. The CONE SNAIL! said:
Yeah, then you could get a Blue-Ring Octopus to take care of the Cone Snail!

(There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.....)

Since reading up on the fireworms, I am now nervous about putting my hands any where near the rockwork. If I added a cone snail, I would never even put my hands in the water again. :) Man, there have been 30 human deaths associated with the cone snail. And my mom told me growing up that I might die because I road raced motorcycles. I think my reef is more hazardous!

Like this, right, this is one?
:shock:
Fireworm.jpg
alt="">

This horrid thing is over 2" long[/img]

Dean - Just more reason to use gloves/tongs/something else to protect yourself when working in your tank... (And no, I must admit, I don't practice what I preach, but I've paid the price for that too.)

Jaguar, that one appears to me to be a more common (GOOD!) bristle worm. I've got some in in the lower levels of my fuge that are a good 4-6 inches long when stretched out.

For someone who breeds and raises snakes, I can't believe you're that squirmish about a fascinating lil' worm! :)

I've got a monster 16-20" guy.. When I see him, it's like watching a train go by.. 'There's more of him?' 'Still more?' 'Wow, is he ever going to end?'

The funny thing is that we trapped him in Lisa's 12g nano, and he was already 12-14" long then.

I've got both, but they are in the overflow, where they eat whatever flake food falls down to the bottom.

I've been stupid enough to put my hands in the tank, grab a rock to move it, and brushed one of those fireworms before. Yow! Feels like a cactus. And it looks like one, too :wink:

Oh, he's good, okay. I don't like stuff that stings :p . Snakes are different. They don't normally bite, plus if you get bitten it goes alot faster. I don't know if these things will sting or not, but now I know to wear some type of glove in that fuge. It's a jungle in there.

What's wrong Ryan, you don't like the idea of a little bug that would latch onto your flesh in an instant, and immediately begin burrowing in to find a large enough artery that it can use to travel to your heart?

Or bugs that are smart enough to set up an ambush for SHARKS?

Yeah, those things ook me out too...

The more I learn about what's IN the ocean, the more determind I am that I'm NOT ever in the ocean ever again!!!

(I know, wet suit, odds are against anything bad, blah blah blah...)

Jaguar,

Don't worry... If you see one, it's already too late...

(Just joking!)

Also, just wanted to make sure you understood, just 'cause I said that worm that you posted a pic of is "good" doesn't mean it doesn't sting! They most definitely DO sting! The skin on my hands is thick enough their venemonous spines can't penetrate through the epidermis, and I don't even feel 'em. But the few times one's brushed against the inside of my wrist? YEOWWWCH!!!

FYI, if you do get stung by one, soak the sting site in vinegar and/or hot water, they both seem to detoxify the venom somewhat...

meat tenderizer would work too, and yeah, even the good ones sting pretty good. I made that mistake when I first got into the hobby. I saw one on the sand at the front of the tank and thought it would be a good idea to pick it up and see what it was.....then I had tons of little bristles in my hand. It's almost like having shards of fiberglass in your skin, just irritating as hell!

@Serk wrote:
Jaguar said:
Big Bully :p
@Serk wrote:
Also said:
Eww. .yucky (As DemonChild says.) I don't play with worms, but since that first time I saw one and PMed you "What's this?" I never thought to touch one. You said it was a bristleworm. That just didn't sound like something I wanted to touch. Hehe, so I never did. I think someone later told me what they did. Luckily for me with playing around with all the sand (I do play in the sand though.) I didn't get stung or anything, but now that the fuge is set up and happy they come out I shudder looking at it. I don't even want to play in that sand. I see one in the display and I go all wierdo trying to fish it out. There eww.