Can I put another pump on my ASM skimmer?

I am not liking my ASM G4X much these days as it seems kind of weak to me. My campaigning fo a Deltec isn't doing me much good. Jeff thinks he can add another Sedra 9000 to the current skimmer instead. Will that work? They would both be only used to recirc. as the skimmer is fed off an overflow. Sounds like a good idea in theory, but what do you guys think?

Angela

My Modded ASM G4x is a killer. I get an amazing ammount of great skimate out of my 200g. What is unsatisfing?

Yuki

Oh, I am not sure if that would work. That would be a ton of air going through that sucker.

i would mesh mod it first see if yuo get better results...i did it with my
octopus skimmer i get twice the stinky skimmate as before

I built my own intake/venturi out of some pvc fittings and a 3/8 nylon hose barb for my G3. I had already mesh modded it. The new venturi just turned it into a skimming beast!! After the new venturi, I had to drop the water level about 3 - 4 inches to handle the foam and added a new muffler built out of more pvc fittings to quiet the air intake down. It produces almost a full collection cup of thick dark green skimmate every day to day and a half.

@20vturbo wrote:
got the same skimmer said:
http://www.asmskimmer.com/mod2.htm

I've been considering doing this mod to my G4 as well, but haven't gotten up the guts to cut into it! Some people use a pump to feed water into the body instead of tapping directly into the tank's overflow.

I have a recirc mod, gated valve and mesh mod on my G2. Right now, I have the skimmer fed directly from the overflow, but I am seeing with the water flow is not as constant from the overflow, the water level in the skimmer goes up and down. So I am considering putting a feed pump (mini jet 606) as a feed pump and I can place the feed pump right underneath the overflow tube to get the most exposure of dirty water as much as possible.

Recir mod are awesome, but again with Sedra 9000 you may have problem of turbulance and actually work against you. I'd try with a sedra 5000 first and make sure that you have an elbow on the output pointing sideways to help the turbulance and not interrupt the turbulance.

stan

I would recirc first and see what you get. As others have mentioned a 9000 might be self defeating with the turbulance. Also meshmod would help also.